Subject: [Geopriv] [geopriv] rfc3825bis #45 (new): Adrian Farrel's DISCUSS

From: "geopriv issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:41:05 -0000

#45: Adrian Farrel's DISCUSS

 Thank you for this document.

 I'm afraid that I don't understand the situation after it is published as
 an
 RFC. It claims to obsolete RFC 3825, but a lot of the text refers to
 things
 like...

    This document defines the Ver field for the DHCPv4 and DHCPv6
    options.  New values for the Ver field are assigned through
    "Standards Action" [RFC5226].  Initial values are as follows:

    0: DHCPv4 Implementations conforming to [RFC3825]
    1: Implementations of this specification (for both DHCPv4 and DHCPv6)

 This is not possible because this document obsoletes RFC 3825, so there
 cannot
 be conformance to the RFC any more!

 I think a little time should be spent re-working the text around
 references to
 RFC 3825. Either 3825 is being made historic, or this document is
 replacing
 (obsoleting) 3825 and becomes the full (self-contained) reference for
 implementations. In fact (as is stated in seciton 2.2)...

               This specification defines the behavior of
               version 0 (originally specified in [RFC3825]) as well as
               version 1.

 ...so you don't need to reference 3825, and can just get on with the
 specification of the two versions.

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |       Owner:  bernard_aboba@…           
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                       
 Priority:  minor                      |   Milestone:  draft-ietf-geopriv-3825bis
Component:  rfc3825bis                 |     Version:  1.0                       
 Severity:  Submitted WG Document      |    Keywords:                            
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/45>
geopriv <http://tools.ietf.org/geopriv/>

---

From: "geopriv issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 22:31:39 -0000

Changes (by bernard_aboba@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |        Owner:  bernard_aboba@…           
     Type:  defect                     |       Status:  closed                    
 Priority:  minor                      |    Milestone:  draft-ietf-geopriv-3825bis
Component:  rfc3825bis                 |      Version:  1.0                       
 Severity:  Submitted WG Document      |   Resolution:  fixed                     
 Keywords:                             |  
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/trac/ticket/45#comment:1>
geopriv <http://tools.ietf.org/geopriv/>