Subject: [Geopriv] RFC 6772 on Geolocation Policy: A Document Format for Expressing Privacy Preferences for Location Information

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:34:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6772

        Title:      Geolocation Policy: A Document Format 
                    for Expressing Privacy Preferences for Location 
                    Information 
        Author:     H. Schulzrinne, Ed.,
                    H. Tschofenig, Ed.,
                    J. Cuellar, J. Polk,
                    J. Morris, M. Thomson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      44
        Characters: 87801
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-geopriv-policy-27.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6772.txt

This document defines an authorization policy language for
controlling access to location information.  It extends the Common
Policy authorization framework to provide location-specific access
control.  More specifically, this document defines condition elements
specific to location information in order to restrict access to data
based on the current location of the Target.

Furthermore, this document defines two algorithms for reducing the
granularity of returned location information.  The first algorithm is
defined for usage with civic location information, whereas the other
one applies to geodetic location information.  Both algorithms come
with limitations.  There are circumstances where the amount of
location obfuscation provided is less than what is desired.  These
algorithms might not be appropriate for all application domains.
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Geographic Location/Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 15:50:29 -0500

Thanks so much to the authors for finally driving this to closure.  Another one of the IETF's longest-lived drafts has graduated!

On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:34 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Geopriv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 14:05:42 -0700

My thanks added! I will be sharing with the OGC Members as the OGC Board has 
strongly encouraged the OGC to have more focus on privacy and data 
provenance issues related to the use of location in the mobile world.

Carl

-----Original Message----- 
From: Richard Barnes
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Geopriv] RFC 6772 on Geolocation Policy: A Document Format 
forExpressing Privacy Preferences for Location Information

Thanks so much to the authors for finally driving this to closure.  Another 
one of the IETF's longest-lived drafts has graduated!

On Jan 10, 2013, at 3:34 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> For searching the RFC series, see 
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:01:59 -0800

On 10 January 2013 13:05, Carl Reed <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I will be sharing with the OGC Members as the OGC Board has strongly
> encouraged the OGC to have more focus on privacy and data provenance issues
> related to the use of location in the mobile world.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far, unless it was to point them at Section 13.5.  :)

Location obscuring isn't really advisable, unless you don't really
care about privacy.

That's not to say that the idea of policy controls are a bad idea,
just that the tools described in this RFC should only to be used with
a great deal of caution.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6772#section-13.5