Subject: [Geopriv] review of draft-google-self-published-geofeeds-02

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 06:34:30 +0100 (CET)

Hello.

I have read the -02 version of this draft. It's my opinion that the 
concept is useful, but the document needs more work.

For instance, a mobile operator might cover a quite diverse area with an 
IP block, which can't be described with a single geographical identifier, 
so stacking multiple identifiers should be possible. Another possibility 
would be to allow multiple entries for the same IP block, thus OR:ing the 
results together.

I am in favour of the 2.3.1 allocation size attribute and I think this 
would be useful to identify "a customer", which in this case might be a 
device, a household, a company or similar entity depending on the access 
method.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Jason Fesler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 00:55:01 -0800

Inline.

> would be to allow multiple entries for the same IP block, thus OR:ing the

I understand your intent, or at least I think I do. Perhaps where I fail is
understanding the expected behavior for content operators when there are
multiple conflicting entries; your OR case.

As a content operator, practically speaking, I could still only choose one
location to show users targeted content. Showing users one of N locations
randomly would be a disservice. Showing the first always, would also be a
disservice to many users.  I would probably resort to not using the service
provider supplied geo info at all where there are conflicts.

-jason

-- 
 Jason Fesler, email/jabber <[email-masked]> resume: http://jfesler.com
 "Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day;
 set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:59:15 +0100 (CET)

> multiple conflicting entries; your OR case.

It's not conflicting. If a certain IP block is for users in three 
different US states, then you get three entries, one per state. What you 
do with this information is up to you. It might not help you enough to do 
targeted information enough, but now at lesat you know that the user is 
not in a completely different part of the country/world.

> As a content operator, practically speaking, I could still only choose 
> one location to show users targeted content. Showing users one of N 
> locations randomly would be a disservice. Showing the first always, 
> would also be a disservice to many users.  I would probably resort to 
> not using the service provider supplied geo info at all where there are 
> conflicts.

Would you rather not have this inforamation at all? That's what we're 
talking about....