Subject: grow: Common utilizations of the BGP community attribute

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Aug 2003 09:45:42 +0200

Dear All,

Since the definition of the BGP community attribute in RFC1997, many
service providers have used it to implement various types of routing
policies. Despite the widespread utilization of the community attribute,
there very few available descriptions of the main utilizations of this
attribute.

Based on discussions with various people at IETF and among service
providers, it seems that it would be very useful to document in an
information document how the community attribute is used and to provide
some guidelines applicable to service providers. 

We have written a short internet draft which could serve as a basis for
such an informational RFC and would appreciate comments. The draft was
distributed in June, but you might have missed it during the Vienna
rush... 

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bonaventure-quoitin-bgp-communities-00.txt

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure
-- 
CSE Dept. UCL, Belgium - http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/people/OBO/

____________________________________________________________
Web Archive:     http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/