Subject: grow: close

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:27:49 -0600

looking at the charter, the work in progress or lack thereof,
lack of productive content in the meeting yesterday, and after
some discussion in the iesg, secretariat, please close the grow
wg.

randy

____________________________________________________________
Web Archive:     http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/

---

From: Tom Barron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 12:43:51 -0600

> some discussion in the iesg, secretariat, please close the grow

Randy,

Please reconsider.

It seemed to me that there were two grow mtgs yesterday.

The first was rather productive, and clearly dealt with operational
issues pertaining to global routing.  The second grow meeting somehow spun
into a discussion of meta-meta-meta...-issues where it was quite easy
to see that many cared enough about the issues to express themselves
passionately but not enough to express themselves articulately.

It would be a shame to throw out the first meeting because of the
second.  The IETF needs a working group in the Operations area dealing
with global routing issues.

- Tom Barron

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:11:59 +0100 (CET)

> with global routing issues.

I fully agree, the meeting was quite useful up to the point where the AD
said that the work done was within the scope of the IETF.  The discussion
that followed that should have been stopped by the chair,

Henk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                             Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre            WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258           Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands      Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)
____________________________________________________________
Web Archive:     http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:22:31 -0800

GROW participants:

>> some discussion in the iesg, secretariat, please close the grow

	I just returned to my desk and saw this. I was not
	consulted or informed about this in any way other than
	this email. I have asked the IESG to provide additional
	clarification. However, from my understanding of IESG
	parliamentary procedures, the AD is within his or her
	rights to arbitrarily close a working group. As a result,
	until I receive further clarification from the IESG, I
	have to assume that GROW is closed.

	I apologize to all who have contributed work to the WG,
	and to those who's drafts have been accepted as work
	items. 

	Dave

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:41:41 -0800

> have to assume that GROW is closed.

Not sure how to view the above in lieu of the following msg from NOMCOM
chair (which predates Randy's msg):
----------------

Subject: NomCom News
Date: Friday, November 14, 2003 7:43 AM
From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
To: "<IETF-Announce: ;>"

Randy Bush has resigned from his position as O&M Area Director. Hence,
the nomcom will be filling Randy's position in addition to the
previously announced positions.

Please submit nominations for Randy's O&M Area Director position to
[email-masked]. The deadline for these nominations is noon (Pacific
Time) on December 1.

I am extending the deadline for nominations for the other positions to
noon (Pacific Time) on November 17.

Any member of the IETF community may nominate any member of the IETF
community for any open position. Self-nominations are permitted.

Please also send the NomCom your feedback on the past performance of the
incumbents, or feedback on potential nominees.

All input to the nomcom will be kept strictly confidential.

Thanks,
Rich

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:56:54 -0800

>> chair (which predates Randy's msg):

	No idea.

	Dave

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:06:20 -0800

>> some discussion in the iesg, secretariat, please close the grow

	BTW, if folks object to (or concur with) this statement
	(or the apparent subsequent action), I suggest you
	contact the IESG at [email-masked] with your comments. I'm
	not sure who reads this list, so it might not reach the
	intended audience.

	Dave