Subject: Re: grow: draft-ietf-grow-anycast

From: Tom Sanders <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:13:07 +0530

>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 02:57:58PM -0700, Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
>> I'd argue that it is not. That in fact load-balancing is not in play
>> when anycast is used. Inter-domain routing (bgp) will deterministically
>> pick one of the available paths.

> While ECMP for eBGP isn't standardized, several major vendors have
> implement some form of this.  Given the lack of standardization I'm
> not sure how you can say that load-balancing isn't in play.

Yes, there have been some proposals in the IDR group for advertising
ECMP routes in BGP. I firmly stand against the argument that BGP would
advertise only one route to a destination. Yes, we could have BGP
doing this for now, but 5 years down the line .. ?!?

It is best to keep this option still open and suggest text appropriately.

Thanks,
Toms.

_________________________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow.html
web archive:        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/