Subject: Re: grow: WGLC for Operation of Anycast Services (draft-ietf-grow-anycast-04.txt)

From: Måns Nilsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:17:07 +0200

I think that this is a good document, the editing has been fruitful, the
diverse views on operation and deployment of anycast services have been
taken into account and thus, it is ready to send it on with our best wishes.

/Måns 
-- 
Måns Nilsson                     Systems Specialist
+46 70 681 7204   cell                       KTHNOC
+46 8 790 6518  office                  MN1334-RIPE

TAILFINS!! ... click ...

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:10:45 +0200

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 06:55:31AM +0100,
 Anton Ivanov <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 45 lines which said:

>     5.1 - Section 5.1 does not say a word as far as service integrity is
> concerned. If you are running an anycast service it is essential to
> check every node to see if they respond to the same query in the same
> way and provide the same service (no out of date data). 

It is covered in 4.6 "Data synchronization", which explains why it is
not *always* essential.
_________________________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow.html
web archive:        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/

---

From: Anton Ivanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 06:55:31 +0100

>taken into account and thus, it is ready to send it on with our best wishes.
Hi list,

    The document is good and it is ready to send out as a BCP.

    My only two comments are:

    4.4.4 - Dampening is actually your friend if the anycast nodes are
located within RFC2270 martian AS leafs. This is also considerably more
stable and maintanable than injecting directly into IGP.

    5.1 - Section 5.1 does not say a word as far as service integrity is
concerned. If you are running an anycast service it is essential to
check every node to see if they respond to the same query in the same
way and provide the same service (no out of date data). While it is
possible to do some of these checks as part of data propagation, the
correct place to do that is within service monitoring working on data
which has been loaded and is being served.

    This is nitpicking and minor details and I think that the document
can go out without them.

-- 
   Understanding is a three-edged sword:
            your side, their side, and the truth. --Kosh Naranek

A. R. Ivanov
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:     http://www.sigsegv.cx/
pub 1024D/DDE5E715 2002-03-03 Anton R. Ivanov <[email-masked]>
    Fingerprint: C824 CBD7 EE4B D7F8 5331  89D5 FCDA 572E DDE5 E715