Subject: Re: [GROW] Operational experience with cache based mapping ID

From: "PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:52:59 +0100

Here below, an updated version of the proposed table of content after
discussions and feedback received since end of December: 

---

o) Section 1: Introduction

- Definition of cache/caching 

o) Section 2: Motivations and Roles

o) Section 3: Caching Techniques

Section 3.1: Metrics
- Hit rate
- Hit time/Latency
- Others

Section 3.2: Replacement Algorithms 
- Least Recently Used (LRU)
- Least Recently Replaced (LRR)
- Least Frequently Used (LFU)

Section 3.3: Loading and Acquisition 
- Pre-fetching strategies
- Fetch from Local/Remote Set of Entries

Note: Up to here Section 3 provides generic elements for analyzing
operational experience of Section 5.

o) Section 4: Cache-based Mapping 

Section 4.1: Dependency on Mapping ID Entries Distribution/Dissemination
- Update Rate
- Latency

Section 4.2: Dependency on Mapping ID Entries Structure  

Note: Section 4 provides specific elements for analyzing operational
experience of Section 5  against cache-based mapping. Two sources will
be used here (existing document on mapping specifics and people involved
in cache-based mapping experiment have proposed their help).

o) Section 5: Operational experience 

Structure will be refined per input. 

Some relevant elements to be included from cache-based forwarding
experience: consistency of working set, hit ratio vs cache size and vs
replacement algorithm/policy, as well as failure modes, dependence on
address structure, dependence on traffic temporal/spatial distribution
(exploration effects), etc.

o) Section 6: Security Issues

Section 6.1: Attacks
- (D)DoS attacks 

Section 6.2: Mitigation

o) Section 7: Conclusions

- Try to answer to the question: using operational experience (large
sense) on cache-based forwarding can we derive useful input for/against
cache-based mapping ?

---

Depending on text/input one can adapt structure.  

thanks,
-dimitri.

_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow