Subject: [GROW] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-haberman-rpsl-reachable-test-01.txt]

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 09:49:05 -0400

Hi,
      I would like to make everyone aware of this draft and solicit any 
feedback you may have on it.  The basic premise is to provide a 
mechanism within the IRR system to specify an IP address that can be 
used for testing reachability, Path MTU, etc.  Comments, suggestions, 
and reviews will be most appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-haberman-rpsl-reachable-test-01.txt
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:00:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title           : A Dedicated RPSL Interface Identifier for Operational 
Testing
	Author(s)       : B. Haberman
	Filename        : draft-haberman-rpsl-reachable-test-01.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2009-05-22

The deployment of new IP connectivity typically results in
intermittent reachability for numerous reasons which are outside the
scope of this document.  In order to aid in the debugging of these
persistent problems, this document proposes the creation of a new
Routing Policy Specification Language object that allows a network to
advertise an IP address which is reachable and can be used as a
target for diagnostic tests (e.g., pings).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haberman-rpsl-reachable-test-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Larry Blunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 10:36:50 -0400

The summary is misleading (specifies new attributes,
not an object).   The attributes should be allowed in both route
and route6 objects.   ping-poc should probably be ping-hdl
and reference a handle instead of an email address.

  The example is a bit confused.    Should be --

route6: 2001:DB8::/32
origin: AS64500
pingable: 2001:DB8::DEAD:BEEF
ping-poc: [email-masked]

  I personally feel this should probably be an RIR
object/template attribute (e.g.  inetnum, inet6num,
NetRange, etc.).   On the other hand, deployment
in IRR's will likely be quicker.

 -Larry Blunk
  Merit

Brian Haberman wrote:
>     Title           : A Dedicated RPSL Interface Identifier for 
> Operational Testing
>     Author(s)       : B. Haberman
> _______________________________________________
> GROW mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:10:11 -0400

Hi Larry,
      Thanks for the feedback.  I agree that the summary needs some 
re-wording to accurately reflect what is being defined.  I will fix the 
omission of the route6 object and I do like the idea of having the 
reference to a handle.

      Someone else suggested including this attribute in 
inetnum/inet6num as well.  Seems reasonable to me.

Regards,
Brian