Subject: [GROW] draft-ietf-grow-mrt IANA range reservations

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 19:02:48 +0000

In draft-ietf-grow-mrt-10, the IANA considerations contain the following verbiage:

:   Type Codes have a range from 0 to 65535, of which 0-64 have been
:   allocated.  New Type Codes MUST be allocated starting at 65.  Type
:   Codes 65 - 32767 are to be assigned by IETF Consensus.  Type Codes
:   32768 - 65535 are assigned based on Specification Required.

I'd like to propose the following changes:

1. Part of the range should be dedicated to first come, first serve policy.
2. A very small portion of the range should be dedicated to experimental use.
3. Reserve the value 65535.

The FCFS policy would permit parties to make use of the MRT format for internal
use without having to worry about conflicting with a future code point and
without the need to expose potentially proprietary information.  The
Specification Required designation requires that the contents of the format be
publicly available.

I would also suggest a smaller IETF Consensus range.  IETF Consensus requires
shepherding all the way through the IESG and as such are likely to be a very
small number of documents.

The experimental range is always a good idea in my opinion.  A suitably small
range could be 65519 - 65534.

Editorial Note: RFC 5226 now calls IETF Consensus "IETF Review".

-- Jeff

---

From: Larry Blunk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:55:09 -0500

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
> _______________________________________________
>   

  Thanks, Jeff.    I will update the draft as suggested.

 -Larry