Subject: [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 13:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)
	Author(s)       : P. Francis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2010-03-01

The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.  FIB suppression
is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT loading selected
RIB entries into the FIB.  Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA) is a
simple form of Virtual Aggregation (VA) that allows any and all edge
routers to shrink their FIB requirements substantially and therefore
increase their useful lifetime.  S-VA does not change FIB
requirements for core routers.  S-VA is extremely easy to
configure---considerably more so than the various tricks done today
to extend the life of edge routers.  S-VA can be deployed
autonomously by an ISP (cooperation between ISPs is not required),
and can co-exist with legacy routers in the ISP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Paul Francis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:20:54 +0100

Hi Gang,

Regarding this draft...there is no new technology in this draft.  Rather, 
we decided to put a standalone description of a simple variant of VA in 
one draft.  This is the variant whereby core routers maintain the whole 
FIB, and edge routers do FIB suppression and default route to core 
routers.  In effect, there is a single virtual prefix, 0/0.  This 
simplifies all aspects of operation, and is useful for FIB shrinking at 
edge routers, which is typically where ISPs are putting their older 
routers.

As for the complete version of VA (i.e. with multiple virtual prefixes), 
we think the drafts are pretty stable, so we plan to fold all of the 
tunneling drafts back into the main draft...in other words there will be a 
single draft rather than the current four.  After that most remaining 
changes to the draft will come from implementation experience.

PF

From:   [email-masked]
To:     [email-masked]
Cc:     [email-masked]
Date:   03/01/2010 10:01 PM
Subject:        [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-00.txt
Sent by:        [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group 
of the IETF.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
ftp://[email-masked]/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-00.txt
_______________________________________________
GROW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

[attachment "draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-00.txt" deleted by Paul 
Francis/INS/MPII/DE]