Subject: Re: [GROW] New Version Notification for draft-gersch-grow-revdns-bgp-00.txt

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:04:49 -0400 (EDT)

First, my thanks to the authors for the very readable drafts.

The SIDR charter includes:

> * Is an Autonomous System (AS) authorized to originate an IP prefix

Joe Gersch and Dan Massey write:

> You cannot use our approach to see all the prefixes that are
> authorized to originate from a given AS.  Instead of looking at
> prefix ranges or an AS, this approach starts from a specific prefix
> and asks to identify its origin AS.  This is similar, but not
> identical to what SIDR seeks to do.

Actually, I think what you're doing is exactly what that line the SIDR
charter means, though I see how it could be confusing.  The RPKI does
not give a list of all prefixes that may be originated by an AS; it
answers the "which ASes" question for a given prefix, which is what
your proposal also seems to be aiming to do.

I think this clearly fits the SIDR charter.  (Indeed, your scheme
doesn't do anything for that second bullet in the SIDR charter re:
path protection, but that's okay.)

I think there are differences in the semantics of this v. the RPKI,
and I would love to see an analysis of the differences couched in the
language of sets.

And as for prior work, this is a novel enough variation to deserve 
some consideration.  In addition to the citations you already have, 
Bill Manning also did some work in this space; look for an INET'98 
paper.

-- Sam