Subject: [GROW] WGLC: draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-07

From: "Peter Schoenmaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:54:46 +0800

Hi,

Based on discussion at the last Grow meeting in Paris, it was agreed that
draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist-07 is ready for working group last
call.  It would be good to have some discussion on the draft before
submitting it to the IESG.

Abstract

   The BGP4 protocol specifies the selection and propagation of a single

   best path for each prefix.  As defined and widely deployed today BGP

   has no mechanisms to distribute alternate paths which are not

   considered best path between its speakers.  This behaviour results in

   number of disadvantages for new applications and services.

   This document presents an alternative mechanism for solving the

   problem based on the concept of parallel route reflector planes.

   Such planes can be built in parallel or they can co-exist on the

   current route reflection platforms.  Document also compares existing

   solutions and proposed ideas that enable distribution of more paths

   than just the best path.

   This proposal does not specify any changes to the BGP protocol

   definition.  It does not require upgrades to provider edge or core

   routers nor does it need network wide upgrades.

Thanks

Peter