Subject: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 02:17:16 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Graceful BGP session shutdown
	Author(s)       : Pierre Francois
                          Bruno Decraene
                          Cristel Pelsser
                          Keyur Patel
                          Clarence Filsfils
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   This draft describes operational procedures aimed at reducing the
   amount of traffic lost during planned maintenances of routers or
   links, involving the shutdown of BGP peering sessions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Smith, Donald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:04:41 +0000

Where are the "Changes to BGP Finite State Machine" listed?
BGP is supposed to be a Finite State Machine. Most early BGP rfcs called out the changes specifically.
At least up to rfc4724 (Graceful Restart).

This one CLEARLY changes the finite state machine but doesn't clearly state what those changes are.
Many others have done the same thing it is nearly impossible to map out how all those new rfcs have affected the state machine.

"Pampers use multiple layers of protection to prevent leakage. Rommel used defense in depth to defend European fortresses." (A.White) [email-masked]

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
>[email-masked]
>Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 3:17 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked]
>Subject: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-04.txt
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>GROW mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 23:29:54 +0200

Hi Donald,

I do not think this proposal changes BGP state machine. It does not
affect connection state as such. It just de-preferes routes during
normal best path selection runs.

If it changes in any way it just delays the actual shutdown of the
connection which one may consider the operator's choice. Note that
what the draft is trying to automate and make easier operationally is
possible to do manually today with existing BGP state machine therefor
this seems like an argument that no changes to BGP state machine is
required.

Rgs,
R.

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:15:31 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Raszuk" <[email-masked]>
To: "Smith, Donald" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 10:29 PM
> this seems like an argument that no changes to BGP state machine is

I am with Robert on this one.  The structure of the FSM, in terms of
states and events and state changes, is unaltered by this.

Arguably, this I-D changes the list of actions to be taken when Event 2
or Event 8 occurs in Established state but I think that such
enhancements have been with us for a while and that there is no reason
for them to be called out by this I-D in particular.

Tom Petch

> > Many others have done the same thing it is nearly impossible to map
out how all those new rfcs have affected the state machine.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Pampers use multiple layers of protection to prevent leakage.
Rommel used defense in depth to defend European fortresses." (A.White)
[email-masked]