Subject: [GROW] I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:35:05 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Operational Requirements for Enhanced Error Handling Behaviour in BGP-4
	Author(s)       : Rob Shakir
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-06.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2012-12-27

Abstract:
   BGP is utilised as a key intra- and inter-autonomous system routing
   protocol in modern IP networks.  The failure modes, as defined by the
   original protocol standards, are based on a number of assumptions
   around the impact of session failure.  Numerous incidents both in the
   global Internet routing table and within service provider networks
   have been caused by strict handling of a single invalid UPDATE
   message causing large-scale failures in one or more autonomous
   systems.

   This memo describes the current use of BGP within service provider
   networks, and outlines a set of requirements for further work to
   enhance the mechanisms available to a BGP implementation when
   erroneous data is detected.  Whilst this document does not provide
   specification of any standard, it is intended as an overview of a set
   of enhancements to BGP to improve the protocol's robustness to suit
   its current deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:41:50 +0000

>	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-ops-reqs-for-bgp-error-handling-06.txt

Hi GROW!

This update is a fairly major re-spin of the BGP Error Handling
requirements draft. The technical content should be as per the previous
revisions however, following the ietf/RtgDir last call comments, I have
made the following changes:

* Made the amendments that were discussed and there was no disagreement
with from our meeting in Atlanta -- this is essentially renaming the
Critical/Semantic error types to Critical/Non-Critical.

* Significant de-duplication within the text including merging the
operational monitoring/toolset discussions into the error handling
sections.

* Adoption of rfc2119 language throughout to clarify the requirements.

* Removal of some of the discussion around more detailed justifications
for why particular decisions were made. I think this was useful through
the discussion phase of this draft, but it seems like GROW/IDR have
converged on a relatively stable set of requirements, so I have trimmed
back some of this discussion.

I'd really welcome any further comments on this before we re-submit for
publication. To eke these out - Peter/Chris - can you kick off a WGLC for
this draft please? :-)

Seasons greetings!
r.