Subject: [GROW] Last Call: <draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition-04.txt> (Problem Definition and Classification of BGP Route Leaks) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 07:44:59 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Global Routing Operations WG
(grow) to consider the following document:
- 'Problem Definition and Classification of BGP Route Leaks'
  <draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition-04.txt> as Informational
RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-03-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A systemic vulnerability of the Border Gateway Protocol routing
   system, known as 'route leaks', has received significant attention in
   recent years.  Frequent incidents that result in significant
   disruptions to Internet routing are labeled "route leaks", but to
   date we have lacked a common definition of the term.  In this
   document, we provide a working definition of route leaks, keeping in
   mind the real occurrences that have received significant attention.
   Further, we attempt to enumerate (though not exhaustively) different
   types of route leaks based on observed events on the Internet.  We
   aim to provide a taxonomy that covers several forms of route leaks
   that have been observed and are of concern to Internet user community
   as well as the network operator community.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.