Subject: [GROW] Document Action: 'Problem Definition and Classification of BGP Route Leaks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 13:40:50 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Problem Definition and Classification of BGP Route Leaks'
  (draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition-06.txt) as Informational
RFC

This document is the product of the Global Routing Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition/

Technical Summary

  A systemic vulnerability of the Border Gateway Protocol routing
   system, known as 'route leaks', has received significant attention in
   recent years.  Frequent incidents that result in significant
   disruptions to Internet routing are labeled "route leaks", but to
   date we have lacked a common definition of the term.  In this
   document, we provide a working definition of route leaks, keeping in
   mind the real occurrences that have received significant attention.
   Further, we attempt to enumerate (though not exhaustively) different
   types of route leaks based on observed events on the Internet.  We
   aim to provide a taxonomy that covers several forms of route leaks
   that have been observed and are of concern to Internet user community
   as well as the network operator community.

Working Group Summary

This draft got significant review/discussion in the WG, with 5 revisions 
and agreement in the group on the focus and direction/content of the draft.

Document Quality

There are no implementations of a protocol for this, this document is a 
taxonomy of route leak types/causes/etc.

Personnel

Shepherd: Chris Morrow
AD: Joel Jaeggli