Subject: [GROW] RFC 7948 on Internet Exchange BGP Route Server Operations

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 13:01:36 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7948

        Title:      Internet Exchange BGP Route Server Operations 
        Author:     N. Hilliard, E. Jasinska,
                    R. Raszuk, N. Bakker
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       September 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 36787
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-ix-bgp-route-server-operations-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7948

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7948

The popularity of Internet Exchange Points (IXPs) brings new
challenges to interconnecting networks.  While bilateral External BGP
(EBGP) sessions between exchange participants were historically the
most common means of exchanging reachability information over an IXP,
the overhead associated with this interconnection method causes
serious operational and administrative scaling problems for IXP
participants.

Multilateral interconnection using Internet route servers can
dramatically reduce the administrative and operational overhead
associated with connecting to IXPs; in some cases, route servers are
used by IXP participants as their preferred means of exchanging
routing information.

This document describes operational considerations for multilateral
interconnections at IXPs.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC