Subject: [GROW] Protocol Action: 'Multi-Threaded Routing Toolkit (MRT) Routing Information Export Format with BGP Additional Paths Extensions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-grow-mrt-add-paths-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 14:34:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Multi-Threaded Routing Toolkit (MRT) Routing Information Export
Format
   with BGP Additional Paths Extensions'
  (draft-ietf-grow-mrt-add-paths-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Global Routing Operations Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benoit Claise and Joel Jaeggli.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-mrt-add-paths/

Technical Summary

The MRT (RFC6396) record format is used to for archive routing
 information as it changes over time.  BGP is one of the routing 
protocols supported and MRT needs updates when BGP gets certain
 new capabilities.  The capability for BGP to advisertise multiple 
paths has been added with RFC7911.  This document adds the 
required functionality to MRT enabling the format to store the new
 information.

Working Group Summary

There has been good consensus within the working group.  The 
draft overall is straight forward, and simple.  The document is 
required to ensure that MRT can continue to store BGP routing 
information that vendors are implementing and end users are 
deploying.

The last call was quiet, but it was clear from the interested parties
 that the document was ready for publication.

Document Quality

The feature has been implemented in bird (http://bird.network.cz/) 
and is waiting to be pulled into an official release.  There are two 
software packages for procesing the MRT data, RIPE NCC's bgpdump, 
and java-mrt (https://github.com/tking/java-mrt).  The document 
focuses on extending the existing MRT standard, by adding new 
message subtypes.

Personnel

Document Shepherd: Peter Schoenmaker
Responsible Area Director: Joel Jaeggli