Subject: [GROW] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on charter-ietf-grow-03-01: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 16:13:34 -0800

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-grow-03-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-grow/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

    The purpose of GROW is to consider the operational problems associated
    with the Internet Protocol (IP) global routing systems, including but
    not limited to default-free zone routing table growth, effects of the
    interactions between interior and exterior routing protocols, the effect
    of address allocation policies, or practices on the global routing
    system.  [...]

I'm not sure what the last bit is trying to say.  What "practices" are it that might
have an effect on the global routing system?  Is "on the global routing system" supposed
to apply to the entire list or just the last item?
Also, nit: "including but not limited to" should introduce a list that ends with "and"
(currently "or" is used).

    Where appropriate, GROW documents the operational aspects of

What or who determines when it is "appropriate"?

   SIDR operations related work will occur in
   SIDROPS

nit: end the sentence with a full stop, please.

    GROW will also advise various working groups, mainly IDR and SIDROPS,
    with respect to whether they are addressing the relevant operational and
    routing security requirements of Internet-connected networks, and, where
    appropriate, suggest course corrections.

Martin D's point about one-directional advice feels poignant; a different phrasing
than "course corrections" might help, like "areas where improvement would have
significant impact".  (Also, same comment about "where appropriate" as above.)

   Provide documentation to assist in preventing malpractice in the global routing
   system.

Do you have examples in mind of what might be documented that is not a best practice
or an operational aspect (the previous two items)?

The proposed milestones mention "evolving documents"; is there a reference where
those are discussed?