Subject: [GROW] route leak solution and IANA large community register

From: "Sriram, Kotikalapudi (Fed)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 23:26:23 +0000

I have a question for the GROW Chairs and anyone who can help.

There are these two drafts:
Methods for Detection and Mitigation of BGP Route Leaks
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-detection-mitigation-04

BGP Well Known Large Community
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-heitz-idr-wklc-01

The first is in a mature state in GROW and the second is in a pre-adoption-call state in IDR. The first draft requests IANA for an allocation in well-known Large Community (WKLC) registry but no such IANA registry exists yet. The second draft (in IDR) is making an effort to specify and request the creation of an IANA WKLC registry. This work seems to be going slow in IDR -- partly the authors are responsible (including me).  

Question: Is the creation of an IANA Large Community registry a prerequisite for a WGLC on the first one (in GROW)? Or, it is possible to have WGLC requested/completed on the first one and then wait for the creation of the IANA LC registry?

Thanks.

Sriram

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 12:30:14 -0500

Sriram:

If IDR adopts the draft, you can ask for early allocation on the registry.
Before that point,  let me chat with the IDR co-chairs and ADs to what other
options you have. 

Cheers,  Sue 

-----Original Message-----
From: Sriram, Kotikalapudi (Fed) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, March 7, 2021 6:26 PM
To: Christopher Morrow; Job Snijders
Cc: [email-masked]; GROW WG; [email-masked]; Susan Hares;
[email-masked]
Subject: route leak solution and IANA large community register

There are these two drafts:
Methods for Detection and Mitigation of BGP Route Leaks
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-detection-mitigation-
04

The first is in a mature state in GROW and the second is in a
pre-adoption-call state in IDR. The first draft requests IANA for an
allocation in well-known Large Community (WKLC) registry but no such IANA
registry exists yet. The second draft (in IDR) is making an effort to
specify and request the creation of an IANA WKLC registry. This work seems
to be going slow in IDR -- partly the authors are responsible (including
me).  

Question: Is the creation of an IANA Large Community registry a prerequisite
for a WGLC on the first one (in GROW)? Or, it is possible to have WGLC
requested/completed on the first one and then wait for the creation of the
IANA LC registry?

Thanks.

Sriram

---

From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 18:35:40 +0000

Dear Sriram, Sue,

Working Group Last Call is possible, but I suspect after WGLC it will
not be possible for the document to progress beyond the Shepherd
Write-up step, because the current -04 version essentially is blocking
on a normative dependency on 'draft-heitz-idr-wklc' (or any successor).

My recommendation would be to let both efforts proceed independently, 
as it probably would be good to continue discussion on whether
draft-ietf-grow-route-leak-detection-mitigation's objective can only be
solved with Large Communities; and separately whether in the large
communities 'space' a segment of the 'spectrum' should be set aside for
future well-known through standards documented signaling.

Kind regards,

Job
GROW Working Group Chair

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 12:30:14PM -0500, Susan Hares wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> GROW mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/grow