Subject: reservations

From: "tom worster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 21:12:24 -0500

this new draft has been submitted:

http://jadn.com/~fsb/draft-worster-gsmp-reservation-00.txt
http://jadn.com/~fsb/draft-worster-gsmp-reservation-00.pdf
http://jadn.com/~fsb/draft-worster-gsmp-reservation-00.doc

c u
tom

---

From: Joachim Buerkle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 22:50:09 -0500

the attached draft has been submitted:

c.u.
joachim

Internet-Draft                                          Joachim Buerkle
9. November 1999                                          Bosch Telecom
Expiration Date: 8. May 2000

                Extended move branch concept for GSMP
           <draft-buerkle-gsmp-move-branch-message-00.txt>

Status of this Memo

This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six
months and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other
documents at any time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-
Drafts as reference material or to cite them other than as "work
in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at:
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at:
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract
   Some multicast applications, such as Video distribution, need an
   efficient support for moving between multicast groups.
   This draft shows that the support of such application results in a
   extended move branch concept of GSMP to be able to move the Output
   branch of a connection not only to another port but also between
   connections with the same QoS.

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

Overview
   Some GSMP applications, which are using zapping protocols to switch
   between different content streams (multicast groups), need the
   possibility to switch the output branch of connection to another
   connection with the same QoS.
   Since zapping between content streams is a highly time critical
   action this draft proposes to generalized respectively extended
   move branch concept of GSMP.

1. Current Situation

   The Move Branch message of [1] is used to move a branch of an
   Existing connection from its current output port label to a new
   output port label in a single atomic transaction.
   As defined in [1] the Move Branch message is a connection management
   message used to move a single output branch of connection from its
   current Output Port and Output Label, to a new Output Port and Output
   Label on the same connection. None of the connection's other Output
   Branches are modified. When the operation is complete the original
   Output Label on the original Output Port will be deleted from the
   Connection.
   Furthermore [1] defines as an ATM specific procedure the ATM VPC 
   Move Branch. The ATM VPC Move Branch message is a connection
   management message used to move a single Output Branch of a virtual
   path connection from its current Output Port and Output VPI, to a
   new Output Port and Output VPI on the same virtual channel
   connection. None of the other Output Branches are modified. When
   the operation is complete the original Output VPI on the original
   Output Port will be deleted from the connection.

2. New Requirement

   The new requirement of GSMP multicast applications, such as Video
   distribution, is that GSMP provides a single atomic transaction to
   move an Output Branch of a connection (e.g. a VCC) to another
   existing connection (e.g. a VCC). Both connection must have the
   same specified QoS.

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

3. Possible Concepts

   It is possible to consider a the move of Output branches between 
   existing connections (in case of a Port-Type=ATM VCCs) as a
   variant of the GSMP move branch message, or as a distinct object in
   its own right. The former would involve an extended definition of
   the move branch message while the latter would involve a new
   additional connection management message.

   Which of these variants will be chosen is up to the GSMP WG
   consensus.

3.1. Changes to GSMP with the first variant

   The first variant means that there is no change of the message
   Format but the Port and Label fields of the message are used in
   Dependence of the message type.

   The message will then defined as follows:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |    Version    | Message Type  |    Result     |     Code      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | Partition ID  |           Transaction Identifier              |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Port Session Number                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                         Unchanged Port                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x|x|x|E|                 Unchanged Label                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
** ~x x x|E|             Unchanged Extended Label                  ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      To be changed Old Port                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x x x|E|              To be changed Old Label                  |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
** ~x x x|E|          To be changed Extended Old Label             ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      To be changed New Port                   |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |QMS|x|E|              To be changed New Label                  |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
** ~x x x|E|          To be changed Extended New Label             ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Service Selector                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

      ** Note: There can be zero or more 32 bit words containing
         Extended Labels (like those marked **) following an Input
         or Output Label field. A 32 bit word containing an Extended
         Label follows the previous label field if and only if the E
         Flag immediately preceding the previous label is set.

   The E, QMS and Service Selector fields are as defined in the Add
   Branch message of [1].

   The Port and Label Fields are then used for the different message
   Types as defined as follows:
   In the cases of GSMPs message types:
   - #22 
   - #27 
   the port and label fields must be used for the existing as defined
   in [1]. This means:
      - Unchanged Port                    =  Input Port
      - Unchanged Label                   =  Input Label
      - Unchanged Extended Label          =  Extended Input Label
      - To be changed Old Port            =  Output Port
      - To be changed Old Label           =  Output Label
      - To be changed Extended Old Label  =  Extended Output Label
      - To be changed New Port            =  Output Port
      - To be changed New Label           =  Output Label
      - To be changed Extended New Label  =  Extended Output Label

   In this case where the move branch message is used to move an Output
   branch between existing connections (in case of a Port-Type=ATM VCCs)
   a new message type must be defined and the port and label fields
   must be used as defined as follows. This means:
      - Unchanged Port                    = Output Port
      - Unchanged Label                   = Output Label 
      - Unchanged Extended Label          = Extended Output Label
      - To be changed Old Port            = Input Port
      - To be changed Old Label           = Input Label
      - To be changed Extended Old Label  = Extended Input Label
      - To be changed New Port            = Input Port
      - To be changed New Label           = Input Label
      - To be changed Extended New Label  = Extended Input Label

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

3.2. Changes to GSMP with the second variant

   The second variant means that there will be no changes for the
   definition of the existing move branch message of [1] and that
   there will be an additional request message which used to move
   Output Branches between existing VCCs. This additional request
   message is based on the frame format of the current move branch
   message.

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |    Version    | Message Type  |    Result     |     Code      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | Partition ID  |           Transaction Identifier              |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Port Session Number                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                          Output Port                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x|x|x|E|                 Output Label                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Old Input Port                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x|x|x|E|                Old Input Label                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        New Input Port                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |QMS|x|E|                New Input Label                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
** ~x x x|E|          To be changed Extended New Label             ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Service Selector                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   The Version, Message Type, Result, Code, Partition ID, Transaction
   Identifier, Port, QMS and Service Selector fields are as defined
   in [1].

   If in this case the message is used just for ports with attribute
   PortType=ATM the port's labels must be interpreted as ATM Labels as
   defined in [1]:

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
    + - - -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |      |           VPI         |              VCI              |
    + - - -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Since ATM ports do not support Extension Labels so the VPI and
   VCI values always occupy the 28 bits following the flags in
   a connection management message.

   The Message Type for this new message is to be defined by the
   GSMP WG for the general and the ATM specific case.

4. Behavior in case of the new move branch message

   No matter which variant will be chosen by the GSMP WG the behavior
   of the new message will be defines as follows.

   If the connection specified by the Old Input Port and Old Input
   Label (e.g. VPI/VCI) and the branch specified by the New Input Port
   and New Input Label (e.g. VPI/VCI) fields already exists, and the
   Output Branch specified by the Output Port and Output Label (e.g.
   VPI/VCI) fields exists as a branch on the connection specified by
   the Old Input Port and Old Input Label (VPI/VCI), the Output Branch
   is added to the connection respectively branch specified by the New
   Input Port and the New Input Label. When the operation is complete
   the original Output Label (e.g. VPI/VCI) on the original Output Port
   will be deleted from the connection (e.g. VCC). If the Result field
   of the request message is "AckAll" a success response message must
   be sent upon successful completion of the operation. The success
   response message must not be sent until the Move Branch operation
   has been completed.

   This means that with this message a single output branch of
   Connection (e.g. VCC) is moved from its current Input Port and
   Input Label (e.g. VPI/VCI), to a New Input Port and Input Label
   (e.g. VPI/VCI) on another connection (e.g. VCC) which has the same
   QoS specified in the Service Selection field. None of the
   connection's (e.g. VCCs) other Output Branches are modified.

   If the connection specified by the Old Input Port and Old Input
   Label fields does not exist, a failure response must be returned
   with the Code field indicating, "The connection specified by the Old
   Input Port does not exist."

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

   If the connection specified by the Old Input Port and Old Input Label
   fields already exists, but the Output Branch specified by the Output
   Port and Output Label fields does not exist as a branch on that
   connection, a failure response must be returned with the Code field
   indicating, "The specified Output branch does not exist."

   If the connection specified by the Old Input Port, Old Input Label,
   Output Port and Output Label fields does exist, but the connection
   specified by the New Input Port and New Input Label does not exists
   a failure response must be returned with the Code field indicating,
   "The specified New Input branch does not exist."

4.1. ATM specific Part   (Port-Type=ATM)

   As it is current practice in [1] for ATM, there shall be a separate
   message type for the ATM specific case of this operation.

   In the ATM case this operation makes only sense for virtual channel
   Connections, so the movement of VPC shall not be supported. A failure
   response message must be returned in the VPC case indicating ,
   "This operation is not supported for VPCs."

   The Move Branch message is in this ATM case a connection management
   message used to move a single output branch of a virtual channel
   connection from its current input port and current Input VPI/VCI,
   to a New Input Port and New Input VPI/VCI on a different virtual
   channel connection.
   None of the other Output Branches are modified. When the operation
   is complete the original Output VPI/VCI on the original connection
   specified by the Old Input Port and Old Input VPI/VCI will be
   deleted from the connection.

   If the virtual channel connection specified by the Old Input
   Port and Old Input VPI/VCI field does not exist, a failure response
   must be returned with the Code field indicating, "The virtual
   channel connection specified by the Old Input Port does not exist."

   If the virtual channel connection specified by the Old Input Port
   and Old Input VPI/VCI field already exists, but the output branch
   specified by the Output Port and Output VPI/VCI field does not exist
   as a branch on that connection, a failure response must be returned
   with the Code field indicating, "The specified Output branch does
   not exist."

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 7]

INTERNET-DRAFT         Extended move branch concept        9. Nov. 1999

   If the virtual channel connection specified by the New Input Port
   and New Input Label fields does not exist, a failure response must
   be returned with the Code field indicating, "The virtual channel
   connection specified by the New Input Port does not exist."

   If the Output Branch specified by the New Input Port, New Input VPI,
   and New Input VCI fields for a virtual channel connection; is
   already in use by any connection other than that specified by the
   Output Port and Output Label fields then the resulting new input
   branch will have multiple Output Branches. If multiple point-to-
   point connections share the same Output Branch the result will be
   a multipoint-to-point connection. If multiple point-to-multipoint
   trees share the same Output Branches the result will be a
   multipoint-to-multipoint connection.

5. Modifications

   If the GSMP WG decides to go along with another header format,
   like it is proposed in [2], the proposal of this draft can be
   easily mapped also to this new message format.

6. References

[1] Tom Worster, et. al., "General Switch Management Protocol",
    <draft-ietf-gsmp-02.txt>, Oct. 1999.

[2] Matt Peters, Balaji Srinivasan, Jaroslaw Sydir, "GSMP enhancements"
    <draft-sydir-cplane-gsmp-enhancements-00.txt>, Oct. 1999.

Authors' Contact

Joachim Buerkle
@ Bosch Telecom GmbH     Phone:   +49 7191 13 4602
  Gerberstrasse 33       Telefax: +49 7191 13 64602
  71522 Backnang         Email:   [email-masked] (Germany)
  Germany                         [email-masked] (USA) 

Buerkle 1999           Expiration Date: 8. May 2000            [Page 8]

---

From: Joachim Buerkle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:26:13 -0500

I just prepared the slits for Friday and saw that there is an editorial copy failure in section
3.2. Sorry about that.

The correction of the frame format is:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |    Version    | Message Type  |    Result     |     Code      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | Partition ID  |           Transaction Identifier              |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                      Port Session Number                      |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                          Output Port                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x|x|x|E|                 Output Label                          |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   ~x x x|E|             Extended Output Label                     ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Old Input Port                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |x|x|x|E|                Old Input Label                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   ~x x x|E|           Old Extended Input Label                    ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        New Input Port                         |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |QMS|x|E|                New Input Label                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   ~x x x|E|           New Extended Input Label                    ~
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                        Service Selector                       |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

c.u. on Friday
Joachim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Joachim Buerkle schrieb:

>                                                   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>