Subject: I have 2 doubts about format of GSMP message

From: SNOW <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:03:43 +0530

Hi,
  I have 2 doubts about  the format of GSMP message in  <draft-ietf-gsmp-02.txt>
 (1) does the Connection Management Message contain  " Number of Branches " field  ?
 (2) should  the Event Message contain the " Partition Id" filed ?

         Thanks & Regards
                                            snow zhang 

----------
From: 	avri[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Wednesday, October 27, 1999 6:23 PM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	draft-sundell-gsmp-redundancy-00.txt

Hi,

The following draft was submitted to the I-D editor and will show up in
time.
In the meantime, I have put a copy on the web:

 Abstract

 The General Switch Management Protocol (GSMP) is currently being updated
 [3] from previous versions [1] [2]. There has been a desire to enhance
 this new version (GSMPv3) with support for redundant controllers per
 switch partition. This document proposes a way of adding such feature
 into GSMP.

www.apocalypse.org/~avri/ietf46/draft-sundell-gsmp-redundancy-00.txt
www.apocalypse.org/~avri/ietf46/draft-sundell-gsmp-redundancy-00.pdf

I have also put a copy Joachim Buerkle's draft there for convenience sake.

www.apocalypse.org/~avri/ietf46/draft-buerkle-gsmp-usage-flags-00.txt

Regards
a.

---

From: "avri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:55:06 -0500

Hi,

The answers to your questions are in line.

-----Original Message-----
From: SNOW <[email-masked]>
Subject: I have 2 doubts about format of GSMP message

> (1) does the Connection Management Message contain  " Number of Branches "
field  ?

This was removed between gsmp-01, and gsmp-02.
We discussed it during the Oslo IETF and the group reached consensus
that this field was no longer needed becasue there were better ways to
obtain that information..

> (2) should  the Event Message contain the " Partition Id" filed ?

Yes.  I made a pass through the spec and thought I had changed all of the
[transaction ID]
to [partiton id, transaction id].  Looks like I missed at least one.
Thanks.

Regards,
a.

---

From: SNOW <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:10:31 +0530

Hi , avri:

   Thanks for your answer,and I am clear now.

   I am now learning the GSMP protocol, and have a feeling that 
the functions in a GSMP message is more complex than SNMP or VSI's.
such as, GSMP can get all ports configurations,query all the connections 
which arrives at the input port only in one request message. 

  This maybe powerful. But as the result ,GSMP must support the multi-PDUs in 
a sucess response message,and I think this makes it difficulty to implement.

   ( In SNMP or VSI,the functions looks like simple,using the get-next 
mechanism to get all of the table information.) 

    I think the things maybe like CISC vs RISC.There should be a tradeoff
 between complex function and simple function which can supported in one GSMP message.

                                     Thakns & Regards                                                  
                                                   snow zhang

----------
From: 	avri[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Thursday, December 30, 1999 10:25 PM
To: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: I have 2  doubts about  format  of GSMP message 

Hi,

-----Original Message-----
From: SNOW <[email-masked]>
Subject: I have 2 doubts about format of GSMP message

Regards,
a.