Subject: Mail 2 about CPlane GSMP modifications

From: Balaji Srinivasan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 11:57:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everyone,
	As was requested at the WG meeting in Washington, I am sending
out individual mails for each of our proposals that we made to enhance
GSMP. This mail deals with making PDU parsing easier.
The original draft can be obtained at
http://www.cplane.com/docs/draft-sydir-cplane-gsmp-enhancements-00.txt

Label Length field:
	In the draft we had proposed that instead of having a bit that
specifies whether the label is extended, we should have a label length
field. Tom corrected us in the fact that we need a label length field
for both input and output labels. So we propose that every label in
all messages be followed by 8 bits of label length and then the label
padded upto 4 bytes. For example the connection management message will
look like

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                      Port Session Number                      |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |QMS|M|B|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|x|     unused                    |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                          Input Port                           |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Label length              |   Input Label                 |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  ~                Input label continued                          |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                          Output Port                          |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Label length              |   Output Label                |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  ~                Output Label continued                         ~
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |                         Service Selector                      |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Thanks
balaji

Balaji Srinivasan
[email-masked]
Control Plane Technologies