Subject: Some general questions on GSMP

From: Shen Gangxiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:54:47 +0800

Hi, folks,

I am new in this discussion group. I have some questions on GSMP:
1.Based on my understanding, it seems that GSMP is a protocol only to manage
connections in a switch, not those peer-to-peer connections(crossing
multiple links). To establish a peer-to-peer one, it needs to cooperate with
other protocols including routing protocols (e.g. OSPF) and signalling
protocol (e.g. CR-LDP)
2. If the controller and the controlled switch are deployed in the same box,
do we still need such a kind of protocol? 

Thanks in advance for any comment!

Gangxiang

---

From: "Kenneth Sundell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:41:03 +0200

Gangxiang,

> other protocols including routing protocols (e.g. OSPF) and signalling

you're right, gsmp is intended for controlling switches. the peer-to-peer
functions you describe is done by the control plane. it's possible though for
one single controller to control several switches.

> do we still need such a kind of protocol?

as long as you're not planning to open up the box, i can't see that you _need_
a standardised protocol for that. however if you are a data plane vendor and
source a control plane from another party, gsmp would fit in.

> Thanks in advance for any comment!

thanks,
ken