Subject: Re: MVR MIB

From: ad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:01:26 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

This message from Randy Presuhn to the list bounced, so
I am forwarding it on.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:06:33 -0500
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: BOUNCE [email-masked]:    Non-member submission from [Randy Presuhn
    <[email-masked]>]   

Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:05:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  MVR MIB

Hi -

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> From: "Anderson, Todd A" <[email-masked]>
> To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: MVR MIB
> Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:05:37 -0800 
...
>      RowStatus, DisplayString, TruthValue, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION,
...

Though IMPORTed, DisplayString is never used.

...
> OwnerString ::=3D TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>     DISPLAY-HINT "255a"
>     STATUS       current
>     DESCRIPTION
>             "This data type is used to model an administratively
>             assigned name of the owner of a resource.  This
>             information is taken from the NVT ASCII character set.
>             It is suggested that this name contain one or more of
>             the following: ASCII form of the manager station's
>             transport address, management station name (e.g.,
>             domain name), network management personnel's name,
>             location, or phone number.  In some cases the agent
>             itself will be the owner of an entry.  In these cases,
>             this string shall be set to a string starting with
>             'agent'."
>     SYNTAX       OCTET STRING (SIZE(0..255))
...

Please consider the needs of administrations using languages
other than English.  I suggest that this string be UTF-8
encoded, as it is in the SnmpAdminString TC from RFC 2571.

 -------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]
 Voice: +1 408 546-1006  BMC Software, Inc.  1-3141
 Fax:   +1 408 965-0359  2141 North First Street
 http://www.bmc.com/     San José, California 95131  USA
 -------------------------------------------------------
 My opinions and BMC's are independent variables.
 -------------------------------------------------------