Subject: Fwd: GSMP charter after the last iteration

From: "Avri Doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:45:16 -0500

This is the current state of the GSMP charter after several iterations
with Allison.  It has not been approved by the IESG/IAB yet,
but I have hope (and faith) that it will be before Minn.

a.

--------

General Switch Management Protocol

Recharter - version 2001-02-09

Chairs:
     Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
     Kenneth Sundell <[email-masked]>

General Area Director(s):
     Fred Baker <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
     Allison Mankin <[email-masked]>

Mailing List:
     General Discussion: [email-masked] 
     To Subscribe: [email-masked] 
     In Body: subscribe gsmp 
     Archive: ftp://www.psyton.com/pub/mailing-lists/gsmp-archive 

Description of Working Group:

Note: this WG is one of a set of WGs that comprise the 'sub-IP'
pseudo-area that the IESG recently created. All of the sub-IP WGs are
temporarily being housed in the General Area until the IESG decides
on a final management structure for managing these groups. The Area
Directors for the following areas acting as a group will be the Area
Advisors: INT, OPS, RTG and TSV.  The name(s) listed above under
"Technical Advisor(s)" are the the responsible Area Directors for the
working group.

The base General Switch Management Protocol (GSMPv3) protocol has been
submitted to the IESG with the request that it become a proposed
standard. 
Currently the GSMP protocol provides switch configuration control and
reporting, port management, connection control, QoS and traffic
engineering control and the reporting of statistics and asynchronous
events for MPLS label switch devices, all either from or to a third
party controller.

The working group is responsible for completing the standardization 
of the GSMP protocol by responding to protocol issues that arise
during implementation of the current specifications.

Additionally, the working group is responsible for augmenting the
protocol as follows:

- Support for Optical and Other Extensions and CCAMP Features

The architecture of some optical, TDM, spatial and other switch types
makes the ability to remotely control the connection state of a switch 
important.  GSMP has been designed especially for such remote control
operations.  GSMP is, however,  currently lacking in the specific
semantics necessary for switches with some new technologies,
especially in the optical space. The WG will collect requirements and
define solutions to support optical and other new switching
technologies, compatibly with the common control and measurement
protocols WG (CCAMP) work. This work will be done in cooperation with
the other Sub IP Working groups involved in this area. 

The extensions will include definition of new instances of "labels"
(for instance lambda identifiers) as needed, to support the usage 
in the new technologies.  They will also include definitions of port
types, 
of service definitions and of traffic parameters.   

- Switch Partitioning

The current version of GSMP is designed to work with a static switch
partition.  Recently, some regulatory environments (on multiple
continents) have mandated multi-provider access to the same physical
infrastructure.  Therefore, this work should allow network operators
to dynamically open their forwarders (optical, TDM, and other switch
types) to multiple administrative domains of control.  As a result,
the WG will analyze requirements for dynamic switch partioning with
GSMP and determine if GSMP should be extended to support them.  This
work would be to adapt GSMP to work with multiple partitions in which
resource allocation is dynamic and variable between the switch
partitions.  This would be achieved by using available management
tools, e.g. MIBs and PIBs, as well as potential extensions to GSMP.

- Relationship to Forwarding and Control Element Separation

The WG will conduct a brief (one-meeting) analysis of the potential use
of
GSMP in mechanisms that allow third party network processors in switch
architectures.  The output will be an agreement of the likely scope for 
a distinct WG that might be using GSMP for this purpose.  

Milestones:

- Analyze role of GSMP for control element separation and make
  recommendation as to a separate WG for extending GSMP for this
  (Spring 2001)

- Document requirements for control of switches supporting optical, TDM
  and other CCAMP features (Spring 2001)

- Submit GSMPv3 extensions to include control of switches supporting
optical,
  TDM and other CCAMP features and any updates of the base spec for
Proposed
  Standard (Aug 2001)

- Document requirements for switch partitioning and determine whether
  to recharter to extend GSMP capabilities to meet these (Sep 2001)

- If requirements process has convinced ADs/IESG, produce 
  GSMP extensions, MIBs, and PIBs to support dynamic switch partitioning
  (Dec 2001)

- Submit GSMPv3, its extensions, MIBs and PIBs for Draft Standard
  (June 2002)

- Conclude Working Group (June 2002)