Subject: [GSMP] Configuration entity for Ethernet port type MAC

From: "Niel Bester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:36:53 +0200

Hi

I have a question with respect to port setup/configuration for the MPLS
Ethernet port type.  In order to define unique source and destination
for a port of type Ethernet, the relevant MAC addresses are required.  I
see no reference to this in any of the GSMPv3 (draft 10) Port
configuration or management messages  (am I correct?) .  Is this port
specific information configured by another entity? (network edge control
function; Super-ordinate Management; Sub-ordinate Management)

I would appreciate any information in this regard, or please point out
relevant documentation that can provide answers.

Thank you
Niel Bester

_______________________________________________
GSMP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gsmp

---

From: Hans Sjöstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:22:51 +0100

Ports are refered to with port numbers in GSMP. This is described in 
section 3 in the GSMPv3 spec.

And it's true, there are no further notion about the syntax about these 
described in GSMP, this is implementation specific. A possible 
implementation in the switch is of course to use the interface index 
used in SNMP as the port numbers. This way you could use e.g. IF-MIB 
(rfc2863) and EtherLike-MIB (rfc2665) for the management.

Regards
/// Hasse