Subject: GSMP digest, Vol 1 #4 - 2 msgs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:00:34 -0500 (EST)

Send GSMP mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the web, visit
	http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gsmp
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]
You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of GSMP digest..."

Today's Topics:

  1. Configuration entity for Ethernet port type MAC (Niel Bester)
  2. Re: Configuration entity for Ethernet port type MAC (Hans =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sj=F6strand?=)

--__--__--

Message: 1
charset="iso-8859-1"
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:36:53 +0200
From: "Niel Bester" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: [GSMP] Configuration entity for Ethernet port type MAC
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Hi

I have a question with respect to port setup/configuration for the MPLS
Ethernet port type.  In order to define unique source and destination
for a port of type Ethernet, the relevant MAC addresses are required.  I
see no reference to this in any of the GSMPv3 (draft 10) Port
configuration or management messages  (am I correct?) .  Is this port
specific information configured by another entity? (network edge control
function; Super-ordinate Management; Sub-ordinate Management)

I would appreciate any information in this regard, or please point out
relevant documentation that can provide answers.

Thank you
Niel Bester

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:22:51 +0100
From: Hans =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sj=F6strand?= <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [GSMP] Configuration entity for Ethernet port type MAC
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Ports are refered to with port numbers in GSMP. This is described in 
section 3 in the GSMPv3 spec.

And it's true, there are no further notion about the syntax about these 
described in GSMP, this is implementation specific. A possible 
implementation in the switch is of course to use the interface index 
used in SNMP as the port numbers. This way you could use e.g. IF-MIB 
(rfc2863) and EtherLike-MIB (rfc2665) for the management.

Regards
/// Hasse

Niel Bester wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a question with respect to port setup/configuration for the MPLS
>Ethernet port type.  In order to define unique source and destination
>for a port of type Ethernet, the relevant MAC addresses are required.  I
>see no reference to this in any of the GSMPv3 (draft 10) Port
>configuration or management messages  (am I correct?) .  Is this port
>specific information configured by another entity? (network edge control
>function; Super-ordinate Management; Sub-ordinate Management)
>
>I would appreciate any information in this regard, or please point out
>relevant documentation that can provide answers.
>
>Thank you
>Niel Bester
>
>_______________________________________________
>GSMP mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gsmp
>

--__--__--

_______________________________________________
GSMP mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gsmp

End of GSMP Digest