Subject: [Hipsec] Base draft -01 submitted

From: Petri Jokela <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:12:06 +0300

Hello folks,

I submitted the base draft version -01 to IETF. The draft and diffs to 
previous versions can be found from:

http://hip4inter.net/drafts.php

I made the proposed change from mandatory 3DES to AES (key length 128 
bits). This issue is still open for comments and discussion.

/Petri

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://honor.trusecure.com/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:22:02 +0300 (EEST)

There may be a slight problem with SIGMA compliancy in base-01. I think
the ECHO_REQUEST/REPLY must be mandatory, or otherwise the base exchange
is not SIGMA compliant.

The SIGMA papers states (page 18, first paragraph) that the messages
should carry either a fresh nonce (i.e. ECHO_REQUEST/REPLY), or the peer
DH should be included in the signature. As the latter is not true in the
base exchange, we need to make the former mandatory. (Also, the ECHO needs
to be included in the signature.)

However, I don't think that we need to have a two-way ECHO (i.e. the
initiator send its own echo) if we intepret HIP as SIGMA-I with the peer
awareness property (= R2 packet). On the figure on page 19 in the
SIGMA paper, we can subsitute g^x in the second packet with ECHO_REQUEST
and g^y in the third packet with ECHO_REPLY in SIGMA-I.

Agree?

-- 
Miika Komu              [email-masked]          http://www.iki.fi/miika/
_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://honor.trusecure.com/mailman/listinfo/hipsec

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:58:33 +0300 (EEST)

> the ECHO_REQUEST/REPLY must be mandatory, or otherwise the base exchange

(Forget this - this wasn't true. I should not post messages when I am
tired ;)