Subject: [Hipsec] HIP Mobile Router draft

From: Orlie Brewer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:04:23 -0700

Hello,

We have been implementing portions of the HIP mobile router draft to
OpenHIP:

<<http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?difftype=3D--hwdiff&url2=3Dhttp://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-melen-hip-mr-01.txt>>

Below are a few questions and comments about our effort.

In section 5.1 of the draft, the "mobile router adds its self-signed
locator set information to the I1 message" and "its signed LOCATOR TLV
and ESP_INFO TLV to the I2 message."  This only seems useful if the peer
node has the host identity public key of the mobile router to verify the
signature, but there is no mention of the mobile router passing that
information to the peer node or establishing a HIP connection with the
peer node.  Also, these would have to be added after the portion of the
message signed by the mobile node.  We have defined a ESP_INFO_UNSIGNED
parameter to place the SPINAT info after the portion of the message
signed by the mobile node in the I2 message.

Also, in that section, "the mobile router adds an encrypted 'echo
request' parameter to the I1 message."  We are assuming that it is an
ECHO_REQUEST_UNSIGNED parameter that would be placed after the portion
of the message signed by the mobile node.

Another question with signatures is with the UPDATE packet.  The HIP
RFC5201, section 5.3.5, say that an HMAC parameter and a HIP_SIGNATURE
parameter are mandatory.  Again, is this suppose to be the mobile
router's signature?  The draft does not mention signatures in relation
to the UPDATE packet.

A general comment is that the draft seems to consider two cases, a
mobile node with existing SAs moving behind a mobile router and a mobile
node already behind a mobile router establishing an SA through a mobile
router.  However, it is a little confusing which case is being discussed
at times as the draft seems to jump between the two cases.  It would be
clearer if it were explicitly stated when the different cases were begin
discussed.

   Orlie Brewer
   The Boeing Company         VOICE: (425) 373 - 2881,
   P.O. Box 3707, MS 7L-48    FAX:   (425) 373 - 2960
   Seattle, WA 98124-2207     EMAIL: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec