Subject: [Hipsec-rg] Draft agenda for HIP RG meeting, Friday Mar. 11
From: [email-masked] (Henderson, Thomas R)
Date: Mon Feb 28 18:01:01 2005

IRTF HIP Research Group

Friday, March 11 at 1230-1500
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D

Chairs:  Pekka Nikander ([email-masked])
         Tom Henderson ([email-masked])

AGENDA:
1.  Agenda, attendance sheets, note-taker, jabber scribe
    (Note:  Jabber availability dependent on 802.11 network
availability)

2.  NAT and middlebox traversal

  2.1  PATH (Preferred Alternatives for Tunneling HIP) (Hannes
Tschofenig)
=20
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nikander-hip-path-00.txt

  2.2  NAT and Firewall Traversal for HIP (Hannes Tschofenig)
=20
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-hiprg-hip-natfw-tra
versal-01.txt

  2.3  Middlebox Traversal Issues of Host Identity Protocol (HIP)
Communication (Martin Stiemerling)
=20
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stiemerling-hip-nat-03.txt

  2.4  Discussion-- how to go forward with the NAT/middlebox work

3.  API and upper layer identifier (ULID) issues

  3.1  Native API update (Miika Komu)

  3.2  work in progress on ULIDs (Pekka Nikander)

  3.3  Generalizing HIP to work with other ULIDs (Tom Henderson)
=20
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-henderson-hip-generalize-00.tx
t

  3.4  Discussion-- next steps for this work=20

4.  HIP project updates

  4.1  InfraHIP (Pekka Nikander):  http://infrahip.hiit.fi

  4.2  HIP-based implementation of Secure Mobile Architecture (Steve
Venema)
       (SMA reference at:
http://www.opengroup.org/bookstore/catalog/e041.htm)

  4.3  Ambient Networks (speaker TBD)
 =20
  4.4  Discussion of HIP software status

5.  Open discussion

From: [email-masked] (Andrei Gurtov)
Date: Sun Feb 27 11:53:01 2005
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] InfraHIP update
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi,

The project "Infrastructure for HIP" got a new webpage at 
http://infrahip.hiit.fi.

We plan a next release of HIPL compatible with current drafts on March 14th.

Andrei

From: [email-masked] (Henderson, Thomas R)
Date: Wed Feb 23 14:28:01 2005
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] What is the puzzle in R1?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Joseph,
Section 4.1.1 of the HIP base draft describes the HIP cookie mechanism
in detail.

The following paper gives more details about the motivation:
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/296869.html

Tom

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joseph So [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
> Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:05 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Hipsec-rg] What is the puzzle in R1?
>=20
> Dear All,
>   I'm trying to understand more about the HIP base exchange.=20
> I find there is a "puzzle" in R1 and I2 contains "solution".=20
> However, what is the "puzzle" ?
> What does the "puzzle" contains?
> Yours,
> Joseph
>=20

From: [email-masked] (Joseph So)
Date: Wed Feb 23 02:05:03 2005
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] What is the puzzle in R1?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Dear All,
  I'm trying to understand more about the HIP base exchange. I find there is
a "puzzle" in R1 and I2 contains "solution". However, what is the "puzzle" ?
What does the "puzzle" contains?
Yours,
Joseph

-- 
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

From: [email-masked] (Joseph So)
Date: Wed Feb 23 02:05:01 2005
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] What is the puzzle in R1?
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Dear All,
  I'm trying to understand more about the HIP base exchange. I find there is
a "puzzle" in R1 and I2 contains "solution". However, what is the "puzzle" ?
What does the "puzzle" contains?
Yours,
Joseph

-- 
Lassen Sie Ihren Gedanken freien Lauf... z.B. per FreeSMS
GMX bietet bis zu 100 FreeSMS/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail

From: [email-masked] (Teemu Koponen)
Date: Wed Feb 16 19:31:01 2005
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] Re: [Hipsec] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-henderson-hip-generalize-00.txt
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

On Feb 17, 2005, at 0:08, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:

Tom,

> The Host Identity Protocol and architecture (HIP) proposes to add a
>    cryptographic name space for network stack names.  This draft
>    observes that HIP can be viewed as an instance of a more general
>    migration towards decoupling identity from location in the Internet
>    architecture, and shows how other proposals (mobile IP, multi6,
>    mobike, and i3) fit into this framework.

Yes, you hit exactly to the target! :-)

Teemu

--

From: [email-masked] (Christian Vogt)
Date: Tue Feb 15 06:11:03 2005
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] New I-D: draft-vogt-hip-credit-based-authorization-00.txt
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi HIP folks.

End-Host Mobility with HIP as well as Mobile IPv6 require a reachability 
test of a mobile node's new IP address.  This test must be performed 
before packets are sent to this new IP address to prevent malicious 
redirection attacks and third-party flooding.

In the MIP6 and Mobopts groups, we have thought about a secure way to 
check a mobile node's reachability at a new IP address, subsequent to 
handover, *in parallel* with already having communications go through 
this new IP address.  We particularly discussed a credit-based solution, 
Credit-Based Authorization (CBA).

It turns out that CBA can be applied to End-Host Mobility with HIP as 
well.  Pekka and I talked about this at the IETF 61 meeting in 
Washington D.C.

The draft cited below gives an overview on CBA and explains its 
integration with HIP mobility.  Your folks' opinions on this topic are 
greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

- Christian

PS:  I posted this email on the HIP WG's mailing list as well.

Title...: Credit-Based Authorization for HIP Mobility with
           Concurrent IP-Address Tests
Author..: Christian Vogt
http://www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/ro2/pub/2005/draft-vogt-hip-credit-based-authorization-00.txt

Abstract
    End-host mobility with the Host Identity Protocol uses IP-address
    tests to protect against malicious packet redirection and third-party
    flooding.  The tests cause handover signaling delays to increase by
    one round-trip time.  This document proposes a credit-based strategy
    that allows peers to securely resume active communications after
    handover as soon as possible, and to pursue a concurrent IP-address
    test subsequently.  The optimization thus eliminates the additional
    handover delay that IP-address tests entail.

-- 
Christian Vogt, Institute of Telematics, University of Karlsruhe
www.tm.uka.de/~chvogt/pubkey/

   "No great genius has ever existed without some touch of
    madness." (Aristotle)