Subject: [Hipsec-rg] HIT-to-IP mapping presentation follow-up
From: oleg.ponomarev at hiit.fi (Oleg Ponomarev)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:19:00 +0200 (EET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:09:09 +0200 (EET)
From: Oleg Ponomarev <oleg.ponomarev at hiit.fi>
To: dnsop at ietf.org
Subject: [DNSOP] HIT-to-IP mapping presentation follow-up

Greetings!

I gave a presentation at the WG meeting on using DNS for mapping Host 
Identifiers to IP addresses, but there was no time for any details or 
discussions.

The slides and the draft are avialable at 
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09mar/slides/dnsop-5.pdf and 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ponomarev-hip-hit2ip-03

I apreciate your feedback/questions and would like to post this follow-up to 
the list and answer some of them.

1) Olaf: Why use DNS for flat identifiers?

The Domain Name System is commonly deployed mapping system and existing 
recursive resolvers can cache the link to the second level, such as

8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.0.f.e.d.c.b.a.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.0.1.0.0.1.0.0.2.
                                            hit-to-ip.arpa.
      86400 IN      CNAME   8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1.0.f.e.d.c.b.a.9.8.7.6.5.
                      4.3.2.1.0.1.0.0.1.0.0.2.hit-to-ip.domain.example.

and location information (A/AAAA) for static hosts (default TTL is 2, but for 
static hosts it may be much longer). Use of the DNS simplifies the deployment. 
It requires minimal effort from the network operator to start providing mapping 
service, i.e. only configuration change in the software well-known to them.

2) Can you use HIT for updates? IP addresses are not reliable for auth.

A HIT is created by taking a cryptographic hash over a Host Identifier (public 
key of an asymmetric key-pair). The HIT has an important security property that 
it is self-certifying and the server verifies that sender of the update had the 
corresponding private key, therefore no additional pre-configured keys are 
needed.

3) What is the hiprg opinion about reverse names? We have some discussions in 
DNSOP.

I can't speak on behalf of the group, but personally I prefer to see 
human-readable names instead of random hex sequences. They may be used for 
reputation purposes and access control in the legacy applications. When two HIP 
hosts comminucate only to each other, they may exchange their host names and 
resolve peer's HIT to its hostname locally. But 1) it's not implemented 2) it 
does not work, when there are intermediate hosts. We want to allow the HIP 
hosts to publish their hostnames.

4) Did you think of the operator's burden of managing all the HIT's?

Host Identities are self-generated keys, there is no hierarchical delegation or 
manual actions on the updates. If the host key is lost, its identity can't be 
used anyway.

5) Peter: Is there consensus in hiprg?

Two out of the three HIP implementations (with most users) support HIT->IP with 
OpenDHT. Our hit-to-ip interface is supported in HIPL implementation and we had 
much more positive experience. There is hit-to-ip.net for _experimental_ use.

I will be glad to receive any comments and answer any questions I possibly 
forgot.

-- 
Regards, Oleg.

From: thomas.r.henderson at boeing.com (Henderson, Thomas R)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:23:11 -0700
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] HIPRG agenda posted
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Dear all,

Please note that the HIPRG meeting at IETF 74 was rescheduled from
Thursday morning to Monday afternoon; it will now be held on Monday
March 23 at 1300-1500.  I've posted the current draft agenda:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09mar/agenda/HIPRG.txt

If anyone still wants an agenda slot, please contact Andrei or me.

- Tom

From: fu at cs.uni-goettingen.de (Xiaoming Fu)
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:50:40 +0100
Subject: [Hipsec-rg] CFP: IEEE ICNP 2009 (submission deadline in 6 weeks: April 17, 2009 -- HARD!)
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

[Sincere apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CFP.]

                          CALL FOR PAPERS
                             ICNP 2009
        17th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols
                       October 13-16, 2009
                    Princeton, New Jersey, USA
                  http://www.ieee-icnp.org/2009

ICNP, the IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols is the
premier conference covering all aspects of network protocols. ICNP will
be held in its seventeenth year at Princeton, New Jersey from October
13-16th, 2009. Papers with significant research contributions on network
protocols are solicited for submission. Papers related to all aspects of
network protocols including design, implementation, analysis,
performance and specification are relevant. Papers must not be
previously published nor under review in any other conference or
journal. Only original papers that have not been published previously or
submitted for publication and under review by another conference or
journal elsewhere can be submitted. Papers containing plagiarized
material will be subject to the IEEE Plagiarism policy and will be
rejected without review. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
? Protocol design, implementation, testing and analysis.
? Measurement studies of protocol performance.
? Protocols for wireless ad hoc and sensor networks.
? Protocols for peer-to-peer networks.
? Protocols for specific functions such as routing, flow/congestion
control, network management.
? Protocols for security, survivability and fault-tolerance.

Papers must be directly relevant to protocols. Papers on general
networking where protocols are only a secondary focus will be considered
only if they are of exceptionally high quality.

Papers will be subject to a double-blind review process. The identity of
authors and referees will not be revealed to each other. To ensure blind
reviewing, the authors' names and affiliations should not appear in the
paper. Bibliographic references should protect the authors' anonymity.
Papers should adhere to the IEEE format and should not be more than 10
pages. The font size should not be smaller than 10pt.  Further
instructions will be posted on the ICNP website
(http://www.ieee-icnp.org/2009).

Authors of accepted papers will be expected to register for the
conference and the paper must be presented at the conference in order
for the paper to appear in the conference proceedings.

Important Dates:
Abstract Submission:        April 10, 2009 8:59 P.M. EDT
Paper Submission:           April 17, 2009 8:59 P.M. EDT (Hard Deadline)
Notification of Acceptance: July  28, 2009
Camera Ready Version Due:   September 4, 2009

Steering Committee:
David Lee (Chair)           Ohio State University, USA
Ken Calvert (Vice Chair)    University of Kentucky, USA
Kevin Almeroth              University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
Mostafa Ammar               Georgia Tech, USA
Sonia Fahmy                 Purdue University, USA
Mohamed Gouda               University of Texas, Austin, USA
Teruo Higashino             Osaka University, Japan
Krishan Sabnani             Bell Labs Research, USA

Advisory Board:
Simon Lam                   University of Texas, Austin, USA
Mike T. Liu                 Ohio State University, USA
Raymond Miller              University of Maryland, USA

General Chairs:
K.K. Ramakrishnan           AT & T Labs Research, USA
Henning Schulzrinne         Columbia University, USA

Program Chairs:
Timothy Griffin             University of Cambridge, UK
Srikanth V. Krishnamurthy   University of California, Riverside, USA

For more details, visit the conference webpage:
http://www.ieee-icnp.org/2009

Regards,
Xiaoming Fu
IEEE ICNP'09 Publicity Chair