Subject: [Hipsec] Document Action: 'Native NAT Traversal Mode for the Host Identity Protocol' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-33.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 09:25:12 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Native NAT Traversal Mode for the Host Identity Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal-33.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-native-nat-traversal/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a new Network Address Translator (NAT)
   traversal mode for the Host Identity Protocol (HIP).  The new mode is
   based on the Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) methodology
   and UDP encapsulation of data and signaling traffic.  The main
   difference from the previously specified modes is the use of HIP
   messages for all NAT traversal procedures.

   Justification is provided on why plain ICE is not performant enough when combined with HIP.

Working Group Summary

 There was WG consensus behind this document.

Document Quality

   As discussed in RFC 6538, there are several implementations of the
    Experimental HIP specs. Therefore, RFC 5770 (HIP Extensions for
    Traversal of NATs) has been implemented.  Nevertheless, at this
    point we do not know of any plans to implement the deltas over RFC
    5770 this specification defines.

Personnel

   Gonzalo Camarillo is the document shepherd. 
   Éric Vyncke is the responsible area director.