Subject: [HOKEY] Last Call: draft-ietf-hokey-reauth-ps

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:03:50 +0100

Reviewing the document, it looks very good overall.  I have a few
comments and questions:

Section 3:

   ... Handover keying allows an EAP server to
   pass authentication information to a remote re-authentication server,
   allowing a peer to re-authenticate to that re-authentication server
   without having to communicate with its home re-authentication server.

  Can that authentication information be passed to multiple
re-authentication servers?  e.g. Section 5.5 discusses AAA proxies, but
they are not mentioned in Section 3.  It would seem that AAA proxies
should be part of the problem statement.  Discussing AAA proxies here
would also help motivate the discussion of key hierarchies in Section 5.1.

  e.g. Each AAA proxy is a natural point in the network for a
re-authentication server, and for a separate point in a key hierarchy.
They may be part of the solution, so it would be useful to mention them
explicitly.

Section 5.1

  Key hierarchies are mentioned, but no motivation is given for using
them.  Section 1 discusses current EAP key hierarchies, but the text
here in Section 5.1 applies to Hokey, and not to EAP.

Section 5.5

   ... In the
   architecture introduced in this document, ...

  This is the first mention of "architecture".  Previous text in the
document discussed participants, without having an explicit
architectural diagram, or even defining the participants in the Hokey
process.  e.g. Section 4 lists design goals, but there is no
corresponding section defining the participants or roles.

  Perhaps Section 2 could be expanded to include such a list.  Section 3
could also be expanded to include an architectural diagram.

Section 6.4

   An EAP peer that has multiple radio technologies (802.11 and GSM, for
   instance) must perform the full EAP exchange on each interface upon
   every horizontal or vertical handover.

  The terms "horizontal" and "vertical" handover should be defined

  Alan DeKok.

_______________________________________________
HOKEY mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hokey