Subject: [HOKEY] WGLC for draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy

From: Charles Clancy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:07:43 -0500

HOKEY WG,

With the latest rev of the EMSK document, I think we are ready for last 
call.  Please respond to the list with your reviews and comments by 
Friday, February 1.

-- 
t. charles clancy, ph.d.                 eng.umd.edu/~tcc
electrical & computer engineering, university of maryland

_______________________________________________
HOKEY mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hokey

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:50:45 -0500

I have comments on definition of Key Management Domain.

"
   Key Management Domain
      A key management domain is a collection of systems that share the
      same access to key material.  A single administrative domain may
      contain several key management domains in order to contain the
      scope of key material to a group of related systems.  A entity
      that is not a member of a key management domain must not make use
      of key material for that domain.  Only the domain where the key
      material is originated may derive key material from the EMSK for
      other domains.  In the case where key material is distributed to
      another domain, intermediate systems may have access to see the
      key material during the key distribution process, but they must
      not make use of the key material.
"

On statement "A key management domain is a collection of systems that
share the same access to key material.":

   - The definition needs to clearly define which key material is
   being talked about.

   - Is a peer a system of the domain since it has access to key
   material?  I would assume a peer is a system of the domain.

On statement "A single administrative domain may contain several key
management domains in order to contain the scope of key material to a
group of related systems.":

   What does "contain the scope of key material to a group of related
   systems" exactly mean?  I think that "A single administrative
   domain may contain several key management domains." should be
   sufficient.

On statement "Only the domain where the key material is originated may
derive key material from the EMSK for other domains.":

   This sentence seems to assume that two domains are associated with
   the key material.  I think this is confusing.

On statement "In the case where key material is distributed to another
domain, intermediate systems may have access to see the key material
during the key distribution process, but they must not make use of the
key material.":

   I am wondering why definition of key management domain needs to
   talk about how key material is distributed to the domain.  It makes
   more sense to me if key distribution issue is described in Section 7.4.

How is a key management domain identified?  Key management domain
identifier should also be defined in Section 1.1.

All said that, I would suggest revise the definition of Key Management
Domain something like (with assumption that key management domain
identifier is also defined in Section 1.1):

"
   Key Management Domain
      A key management domain is a collection of systems that are
      allowed to use a DSRK or its descendants.  A key management
      domain is identified by a key management domain identifier.  A
      single administrative domain may contain several key management
      domains.
"

Best Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 11:07:43AM -0500, Charles Clancy wrote:
> call.  Please respond to the list with your reviews and comments by Friday, 
> February 1.
>
> --

---

From: "Joseph Salowey (jsalowey)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:45:08 -0800

Hi Yoshihiro,

I think you may be referencing an old draft.  I believe that
"http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy-03.
txt" has an updated definition of key management domain.  Can you take a
look at it and post your comments on this definition?

Thanks,

Joe

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Yoshihiro Ohba [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:51 AM
> To: Charles Clancy
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [HOKEY] WGLC for draft-ietf-hokey-emsk-hierarchy
> 
> On statement "A key management domain is a collection of 
> systems that share the same access to key material.":
> 
> On statement "A single administrative domain may contain 
> several key management domains in order to contain the scope 
> of key material to a group of related systems.":
> 
> On statement "Only the domain where the key material is 
> originated may derive key material from the EMSK for other domains.":
> 
> On statement "In the case where key material is distributed 
> to another domain, intermediate systems may have access to 
> see the key material during the key distribution process, but 
> they must not make use of the key material.":
> 
> How is a key management domain identified?  Key management 
> domain identifier should also be defined in Section 1.1.
> 
> All said that, I would suggest revise the definition of Key 
> Management Domain something like (with assumption that key 
> management domain identifier is also defined in Section 1.1):
> 
> "
>    Key Management Domain
> > With the latest rev of the EMSK document, I think we are ready for 
> > last call.  Please respond to the list with your reviews 
> and comments 
> > by Friday, February 1.
> >
> > --

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:17:29 -0500

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the correction.  Here is my comments on Key Management
Domain in -03:

"
   Key Management Domain
      A key management domain is specified by the scope of a given root
      key.  The scope is the collection of systems authorized to access
      key material derived from that key.  Systems within a key
      management domain may be authorized to (1) derive key materials,
      (2) use key materials, or (3) distribute key materials to other
      systems in the same domain.  A derived key's scope is constrained
      to a subset of the scope of the key it is derived from.  In this
      document the term domain refers to a key management domain unless
      otherwise qualified.
"

- The definition needs to clearly define which root key is being
talked about.  I think it is DSRK.

- The third and fourth sentences are mostly explanation of DSRK, not
description of domain itself.

- How is a key management domain identified?  Key management 
domain identifier should also be defined in Section 1.1.

"
   Key Management Domain

      A key management domain is a collection of systems that are
      allowed to use a DSRK or its descendants under constraint of the
      scope and usage of each key.  A key management domain is identified by a
      key management domain identifier.  In this document the term
      domain refers to a key management domain unless otherwise qualified.
"

Best Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
HOKEY mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hokey