Subject: [HOKEY] Protocol Action: 'Distribution of EAP based keys for handover and re-authentication' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:01:45 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Distribution of EAP based keys for handover and re-authentication '
   <draft-ietf-hokey-key-mgm-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Handover Keying Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hokey-key-mgm-13.txt

Technical Summary

    This document describes a mechanism for delivering root keys from an
    Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) server to another network
    server that requires the keys for offering security protected
    services, such as re-authentication, to an EAP peer.  The distributed
    root key can be either a usage-specific root key (USRK), a domain-
    specific root key (DSRK) or a domain-specific usage-specific root key
    (DSUSRK) that has been derived from an Extended Master Session Key
    (EMSK) hierarchy previously established between the EAP server and an
    EAP peer.  The document defines a key distribution exchange (KDE)
    protocol that can distribute these different types of root keys over
    AAA and discusses its security requirements.

Working Group Summary

    The hokey WG has reviewed the document without particular
controversy.

Document Quality

    The document is of high quality and well written.

Personnel

   Glen Zorn is the Document Shepherd; Tim Polk is the 
   Responsible Area Director.