Subject: [HOKEY] Document Action: 'Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Early Authentication Problem Statement' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:33:27 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) Early Authentication Problem 
   Statement '
   <draft-ietf-hokey-preauth-ps-12.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Handover Keying Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Tim Polk and Pasi Eronen.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hokey-preauth-ps-12.txt

Technical Summary

   Extensible Authentication Protocol early authentication may be
   defined as the use of EAP by a mobile device to establish
   authenticated keying material on a target attachment point prior to
   its arrival.  This draft discusses the EAP early authentication
   problem in detail.

Working Group Summary

    The Working Group experienced major controversy over the inclusion 
    of what was eventually termed the "Authenticated Anticipatory Keying
    Usage Model" within the document.  The controversy between the new
    model and "EAP preauthentication" was resolved by  reserving the
    latter term for a very specific architectural arrangement and creating

    a distinct name for the new model.  This change was also reflected in

    a new document title.

Document Quality

    The document is a problem statement and as such, lays the groundwork
    for development of solutions to the identified problems.

Personnel

   Tina Tsou is the Document Shepherd for this document.  Tim Polk is
   the Responsible Area Director.