Subject: [homegate] Jumbo frames

From: Joe St Sauver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:19:27 -0700

Hi,

As DOCSIS 3.0 and the like boost the speeds which will available to 
consumers, I'd love to see home gateway devices support 9K MTUs (aka 
"jumbo frames"). Without home gateway support for jumbo frames, our 
chances of ever getting the Internet's end-to-end MTU to be greater 
than 1500 bytes, and thus our chances of broadly improving single 
stream TCP performance, appear rather bleak.

I'd also note that jumbo frame support is the classic "third leg" of the 
"advanced protocol triad," the other two bits being IPv6 and IP multicast. 
(e.g., see http://dc-2.grnoc.iu.edu/vn/analysis/connector-tech.html )

It would be a shame to do two of the three, only to miss the third.

Regards,

Joe St Sauver ([email-masked])
http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/
Disclaimer: all opinions expressed are strictly my own

---

From: "Erichsen, Kirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:42:50 -0400

DOCSIS 3.0 still uses 1518 octet framing, no jumbo support. Without giving out all the secrets, speed boost is a token bucket scheme which is supplemented with PCMM dynamic gate control. The boost comes from a different sub-layer than the one you may be thinking of.  

________________________________

From: [email-masked] on behalf of Joe St Sauver
Sent: Tue 6/16/2009 9:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [homegate] Jumbo frames

Hi,

Regards,

Joe St Sauver ([email-masked])
http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/
Disclaimer: all opinions expressed are strictly my own
_______________________________________________
homegate mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homegate

P Go Green! Print this email only when necessary. Thank you for helping Time Warner Cable be environmentally responsible.

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner
Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential,
or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this
E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents
of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any
copy of this E-mail and any printout.