Subject: [homegate] Hotels for Workshop - Paris

From: Jason Livingood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 16:59:33 -0400

Because time is short and we have a small group, we¹re unable to lock in an
³official² hotel.  Of course, Paris is a large and varied city with many
lodging options to choose from.  As the meeting venue (see below) is near
RER-C Issy Val de Seine, you could conceivably stay anywhere in the city.
As folks book a hotel, I might recommend you post to the list as this may
help others choose where to stay (I myself have not booked anything but my
flight yet).

Regards
Jason

On 3/17/10 4:29 PM, "Jason Livingood" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> This is confirming that the meeting will occur in Paris, France, thanks to
> Cisco¹s generous offer to host the meeting.  Much more logistical information
> will follow soon (we will try to leverage AMS for this).
> 
> We will also update our draft agenda by the end of the week on our wiki at
> http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/tsv/trac/wiki/HOMEGATE
> 
> In the meantime:
> 
> 20 April and 21 April ‹ in Paris
> 
> Here is the location of the Cisco office: http://tinyurl.com/yf8w973
> 
> By metro: Closest stop is RER-C Issy Val de Seine.
> 
> Regards
> Jason
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> homegate mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homegate

Regards,
Jason
 
Jason Livingood
Executive Director
Internet Systems Engineering
National Engineering & Technical Operations
Comcast Cable Communications
215-286-7813
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 00:01:54 +0200

Hi Folks,

Yes, sorry for not having an "official" hotel. I'm not a travel agent,
and have not stayed in a hotel myself in Paris for more than 15 years. I
somehow expect for most of you this isn't your first time here.

I'll give a little offhand advice though.

Folks I know swear by Best Western and Holiday Inn in Paris for big
hotel chains that come a a reasonable price. Of course, there are some
fantasic high end hotels and boutique locations as well. All depends on
your budget.

The Cisco office is in Issy Les Moulineaux:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issy-les-Moulineaux	
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_de_Seine

Here's the Paris Metro/RER map:

http://www.paris.org/Metro/gifs/metro.pdf

In the lower-left, you will see "Issy Val de Seine". The Cisco office is
200 meters from this stop. It is on the "RER C" line. If you stay
anywhere in Paris along that yellow line, you will not be far from the
office by RER.

Also, you can take a look at Metro line 10, which cuts east-west through
paris, with a change to the same RER-C at Javel (you actually have to
exit the metro and re-enter to the RER). You can stay along this line as
well.

Or, just take a Cab. If you stay in the center or towards the west of
the city, it shouldn't be terribly expensive (10-20 EUR) and as long as
it isn't the heart of rush hour, a maximum of 30 minutes, likely less.

I will be commuting every day from the St-Michel stop in the very center
of this Paris Map. I expect the Social even to be somewhere in the
center around here as well.

Note that if you used to stay at the "Paris Hilton" near the Eiffel
Tower, it is now a "Pullman" hotel. It is well located for getting to
the Cisco office on RER-C, and used to be very popular among IETFers
that are used to always staying at a Hilton for IETF meetings.

Paris is setup by Arrondisement, which are noted by zip codes. Just
about any hotel in the 15th (75015) should be pretty close to the office
and perhaps more reasonably priced than the more central areas. Anything
in the 6th (75006) or 7th (75007) as well. I like the 6th myself, as it
is closer to the Latin Quarter, which has a lot of nice restaurants and
pubs. Staying in the 1st - 4th (75001 - 75004) can be fantastic or
terrible, so only do so if you know what you are booking (Also, it
probably means you are venturing a bit further from the Cisco office.)

I look forward to seeing everyone here. Travel safely.

- - Mark

---

From: Jason Livingood <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 18:03:32 -0400

I just booked my hotel. I selected a hotel  a short distance from an RER
station (on the Yellow/C Line), since that¹s how I will commute to the
meeting venue.  I suspect this is about 30 minutes from the Cisco office,
but my preference is to be in the city center (you may of course prefer to
be next to the Cisco office).

Here are a few in that area I booked, near the Notre Dame RER station:
http://www.hotelnotredameparis.com/  (this is where I booked)
http://www.parisalbehotel.com/index.html
http://www.paris-hotel-rivesnotredame.com/

Further west on the RER line is the Eiffel Tower area:
http://www.hoteleiffelseineparis.com/
http://www.ares-paris-hotel.com/
http://www.mercure-suffren-tour-eiffel.abcsalles.com

Jason

On 4/2/10 4:59 PM, "Jason Livingood" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> RER-C Issy Val de Seine, you could conceivably stay anywhere in the city.  As
> folks book a hotel, I might recommend you post to the list as this may help
> others choose where to stay (I myself have not booked anything but my flight
> yet).
> 
> Regards
> Jason
> 
>

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:55:55 +0200

Some folks have asked what hotel should be booked close to the Cisco office.
I honestly don't know which hotels are good or bad, and certainly don't know
budgets or other preferences, but here is what hotels.com says based on the
location of the office:

http://tinyurl.com/yloxqd2

I suppose any of these are as good as what you pay for :-)

Looks like a number of people will be staying near the RER-C "St Michel
Notre Dame" station. Assuming all goes well and no mistakes are made, this
is a 30 minute commute into Cisco (it;s a good idea to assume at least one
problem or mistake, so give yourself 45 to be sure).

Taxis work too, but of course are costlier unless you pile in 3 or 4 people.

- Mark

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Jason Livingood <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Because time is short and we have a small group, we’re unable to lock in
> an “official” hotel.  Of course, Paris is a large and varied city with many
> This is confirming that the meeting will occur in *Paris, France*, thanks
> to Cisco’s generous offer to host the meeting.  Much more logistical
> information will follow soon (we will try to leverage AMS for this).
>
> 20 April and 21 April — in Paris
>
> Here is the location of the Cisco office: *http://tinyurl.com/yf8w973
> *
> ------------------------------
> [email-masked]*
>

---

From: "Mario Paalvast (mpaalvas)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 14:38:33 +0200

At walking distance ~ 1.1 km from Cisco Office to Hotel - reasonable
price 

Hotel:
http://www.pullman-paris-rive-gauche.abcsalles.com/ 

Pullman Paris Rive Gauche     

Address:    8 12 Rue Louis Armand, Paris,  75015

Cisco office 

Address:              L'Atlantis, 11, Rue Camille Desmoulins Issy Les
Moulineaux, Ile De France

Google map Link:  

<http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=11+Rue+Camille+Desmouli
ns,+92130+Issy+les+Moulineaux,+France+(Cisco+Systems+Europe)&daddr=8-12,
+rue+Louis+Armand+75015+PARIS+FRANCE&hl=nl&geocode=FekY6QIdrpMiACEhw3YOB
b-9nSkx6CRQmnrmRzGsOG-yTu9B-Q%3BFesh6QIdRcIiACk_11fNdXDmRzGjNMJ6aTIRFA&m
ra=ls&dirflg=d&sll=48.835543,2.279534&sspn=0.021553,0.046349&layer=t&ie=
UTF8&ll=48.832888,2.275329&spn=0.021554,0.046349&z=15>

Start: Cisco Systems Europe 11 Rue Camille Desmoulins 92130 Issy les
Moulineaux, France

End: 12 Rue Louis Armand 75015 Paris, France

Regards,

Mario Paalvast

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Mark Townsley
Sent: woensdag 7 april 2010 13:56
To: Jason Livingood
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [homegate] Hotels for Workshop - Paris

Some folks have asked what hotel should be booked close to the Cisco
office. I honestly don't know which hotels are good or bad, and
certainly don't know budgets or other preferences, but here is what
hotels.com says based on the location of the office:

Looks like a number of people will be staying near the RER-C "St Michel
Notre Dame" station. Assuming all goes well and no mistakes are made,
this is a 30 minute commute into Cisco (it;s a good idea to assume at
least one problem or mistake, so give yourself 45 to be sure). 

Taxis work too, but of course are costlier unless you pile in 3 or 4
people.

- Mark

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Jason Livingood
<[email-masked]> wrote:

Because time is short and we have a small group, we're unable to lock in
an "official" hotel.  Of course, Paris is a large and varied city with
many lodging options to choose from.  As the meeting venue (see below)
is near RER-C Issy Val de Seine, you could conceivably stay anywhere in
the city.  As folks book a hotel, I might recommend you post to the list
as this may help others choose where to stay (I myself have not booked
anything but my flight yet).

Regards
Jason

On 3/17/10 4:29 PM, "Jason Livingood"
<[email-masked]> wrote:

This is confirming that the meeting will occur in Paris, France, thanks
to Cisco's generous offer to host the meeting.  Much more logistical
information will follow soon (we will try to leverage AMS for this). 

We will also update our draft agenda by the end of the week on our wiki
at http://trac.tools.ietf.org/area/tsv/trac/wiki/HOMEGATE

In the meantime:

20 April and 21 April - in Paris

Regards
Jason

________________________________

Regards,
Jason
 
Jason Livingood
Executive Director

---

From: "Heather Kirksey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:07:15 -0500

Mark,

The RER runs quite frequently (similar to the Metro), correct? 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Mark Townsley
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 6:56 AM
To: Jason Livingood
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [homegate] Hotels for Workshop - Paris

- Mark

Regards
Jason

In the meantime:

Regards
Jason

Regards,
Jason
 
Jason Livingood
Executive Director

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:11:44 -0700

> The RER runs quite frequently (similar to the Metro), correct? 

Assuming no strikes, etc. the RER runs *almost* as frequently as the
Metro. Every several minutes. But, you have to be more careful, as you
could end up on the wrong train, even if you are at the right station
and on the right side of the tracks. I'll expound a bit here...

For those that have not been to Paris, or have and have avoided public
transport:

The Metro system, with numbered lines (1, 2, 3 ... 14), serves Paris
itself (the 20 districts, 75001 - 75020) and just a bit of the
surrounding area. "Within the beltway" one might say if you are from the
Washington DC area. Short stops, frequent trains.

The RER, with lettered lines (A, B, ... E) is a regional train, it
extends deep into the suburbs and happens to pass through Paris in the
process. The trains run less frequently than the Metro, but still often
enough that you don't need to schedule ahead unless you want, say, an
express RER to the airport. Within Paris, the RER stops are further
apart than Metro stops (with the exception perhaps of the 14), so you go
further faster. But, the trains don't come as often.

If you are ever confused as to why sometimes you need your Metro ticket
when you exit a station in Paris and sometimes you don't, it's quite
simple: In the long RER line, the system has to check your ticket on the
way in and on the way out. The price of the ticket depends on how many
zones you pass through. The Metro system is always a single zone, so one
ticket, only on entry.

Two very important points about the RER-C.

1. For the RER-C line, you will have to get a ticket specifically Paris
to ISSY VAL DE SEINE. The regular metro tickets are not sufficient.

2. The RER C forks just before ISSY VAL DE SEINE when exiting Paris. So,
you have to be sure to step on the right train, otherwise you will swing
back up north and end up in the 16th and then out towards a different
set of suburbs. RER stations *always* list the stops on a panel, make
sure you get on a train that lists the stop you want. Same is true if
you use the RER-B to go to the airport, etc.

I'll respond to the technical discussion on the list when I get to the
airport tomorrow morning. I'm headed to San Jose in a little while...

- - Mark

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 21:28:27 +0200

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 02:38:33PM +0200,
 Mario Paalvast (mpaalvas) <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 552 lines which said:

> At walking distance ~ 1.1 km from Cisco Office to Hotel 

I cannot comment on the hotel itself but do note it is not necessary
to walk. Tramway T2 is just in front of the hotel and goes to Issy
(from the hotel, take direction La Défense and stop at Issy-Val de
Seine).

Also, the subway station Balard (line 8) is not far from this hotel so
you may go to more animated areas quite fast.

I seize the opportunity to mention that the best traffic planner is
http://www.ratp.info/ (it has an english version). You can indicate
start and destination by address or name ("eiffel tower") and you can
select various criteria (fastest, less change, etc).

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 12:47:13 -0700

> (from the hotel, take direction La Défense and stop at Issy-Val de

Yes! I forgot to mention the T2. I haven't taken it in many years, but
from what I remember it was great.

> you may go to more animated areas quite fast.

Absolutely. If it is a nice day, Balard -> Cisco is a perfectly
reasonable walk, and you stay within the Metro system which is a plus.

There are Buses that are quite nice as well (39 is a good one from Paris
if I remember).

- - Mark

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 08:12:17 -0700

Pullman -> Cisco looks like this for that pullman.

Definitely walkable, but there is a lot of construction going on in the
area, so don't expect it to be an enjoyable waltz along the seine. Good
option for those who want to be near the meeting venue.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=11+Rue+Camille+Desmoulins,+92130+Issy-les-Moulineaux,+France&daddr=8-12+Rue+Louis+Armand,+75015+Paris,+France&hl=en&geocode=FZ8X6QIdiZIiACkx6CRQmnrmRzGsOG-yTu9B-Q%3BFesh6QIdRMIiACFhE4ftMQUwhyk_11fNdXDmRzGjNMJ6aTIRFA&mra=ls&sll=48.833834,2.277946&sspn=0.009124,0.021544&ie=UTF8&ll=48.829879,2.269428&spn=0.009125,0.021544&t=h&z=16

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Mario Paalvast (mpaalvas) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>  At walking distance ~ 1.1 km from Cisco Office to Hotel – reasonable
> price
>
>
>
> Hotel:
> <
> http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=11+Rue+Camille+Desmoulins,+92130+Issy+les+Moulineaux,+France+(Cisco+Systems+Europe)&daddr=8-12,+rue+Louis+Armand+75015+PARIS+FRANCE&hl=nl&geocode=FekY6QIdrpMiACEhw3YOBb-9nSkx6CRQmnrmRzGsOG-yTu9B-Q%3BFesh6QIdRcIiACk_11fNdXDmRzGjNMJ6aTIRFA&mra=ls&dirflg=d&sll=48.835543,2.279534&sspn=0.021553,0.046349&layer=t&ie=UTF8&ll=48.832888,2.275329&spn=0.021554,0.046349&z=15
> >
>
>
>
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
> Behalf Of *Mark Townsley
> *Sent:* woensdag 7 april 2010 13:56
> *To:* Jason Livingood
> *Cc:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [homegate] Hotels for Workshop - Paris
>
>
>
>
>
> office. I honestly don't know which hotels are good or bad, and certainly
> don't know budgets or other preferences, but here is what hotels.com says
> based on the location of the office:
>
> Because time is short and we have a small group, we’re unable to lock in an
> “official” hotel.  Of course, Paris is a large and varied city with many