Subject: [homenet] elaboration on mdns difficulties

From: Michael Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 11:35:46 -0700

In the implementation slot there was a line item and a very brief
description of the difficulties they were having with mdns. I don't
know which drafts they were dealing with (I don't recall the slides
mentioning it), so it's sort of a mystery to me about what they were
seeing.

Can somebody please elaborate more?

Mike

---

From: Jim Gettys <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:26:45 -0400

> Can somebody please elaborate more?

There are really two independent issues:

1) making mdns safe for a routed environment.  Avahi (the common open
source mdns implementation) is happy to bridge/vorward between networks,
but right now, the current implementation/protocol has issues with
topologies with loops.  So we have problems in CeroWrt today when running
3 routers in a mesh caused by loops.
2) bridging mdns properly to the global dns name space: you really don't
want grandma to be handing out .local addresses when that can/should be
avoided (and I guarantee that typing IPv6 literal addresses is something we
really all must avoid.

I think both problems are soluble, but believe we should demonstrate this
by running code rather than hand waving.
  And written spec's may be helpful, but running code is much more
important, I believe.
                    - Jim

>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/homenet<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet>
>