Subject: [homenet] DHCP-pd relay/proxy? function

From: Shishio Tsuchiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 15:27:33 +0900

I found NTT/KDDI home gateway has this function.
IPv6 customer Edge router act as DHCP-pd requesting router.
And if it recieved dhcp-pd prefix , it also act as delegating router for IPv6 interia router.
The pool would be configured from delegated prefix automatically.

Should we make the draft or presentation  which explains this feature as informational?
or is this well known feature?

                     +-------+-------+                     \
                     |   Service     |                      \
                     |   Provider    |                       | Service
                     |    Router     |                       | Provider
                     +-------+-------+                       | network
                             |                              /
                             | Customer                    /
                             | Internet connection
                             |
                      +------+--------+                    \
                      |     IPv6      |                     \
                      | Customer Edge |                      \
                      |    Router     |                      |
                      +----+-+---+----+                      |
          Network A        | |   |      Network B(E)         |
    ----+-------------+----+ |   +---+-------------+------+  |
        |             |      |       |             |      |  |
   +----+-----+ +-----+----+ |  +----+-----+ +-----+----+ |  |
   |IPv6 Host | |IPv6 Host | |  | IPv6 Host| |IPv6 Host | |  |
   |    H1    | |    H2    | |  |    H3    | |    H4    | |  |
   +----------+ +----------+ |  +----------+ +----------+ |  |
                             |        |             |     |  |
                      Link F |     ---+------+------+-----+  |
                             |               | Network E(B)  |
                      +------+--------+      |               | End-User
                      |     IPv6      |      |               | networks
                      |   Interior    +------+               |
                      |    Router     |                      |
                      +---+-------+-+-+                      |
          Network C       |       |   Network D              |
    ----+-------------+---+       +---+-------------+---     |
        |             |               |             |        |
   +----+-----+ +-----+----+     +----+-----+ +-----+----+   |
   |IPv6 Host | |IPv6 Host |     | IPv6 Host| |IPv6 Host |   |
   |   H5     | |   H6     |     |    H7    | |    H8    |   /
   +----------+ +----------+     +----------+ +----------+  /

Regards,
-Shishio

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 01:57:41 -0500

How does this PD function compare with draft-baker-homenet-prefix-assignment ?  It would be interesting to know the details and experience with the running code.

- Ralph

On Mar 4, 2013, at 1:27 AM, Shishio Tsuchiya <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 08:40:41 -0500

> or is this well known feature?

This is a well-known feature.   There's been some debate as to whether this is the right way to solve the problem for a homenet, but it's something we've discussed in the past.

---

From: Shishio Tsuchiya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 23:25:18 +0900

Ted
Thank you for reply.
I found it.
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/homenet/trac/raw-attachment/wiki/WikiStart/homenet-prefixassignment.pdf
Hierarchical DHCP Prefix Delegation
RFC3633 + draft-chakrabarti-homenet-prefix-alloc-00
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chakrabarti-homenet-prefix-alloc-00

Regards,
-Shishio