Subject: [homenet] Bits'n'bites demonstration of ISIS for homenet

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:54:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

just want to inform everybody that there will be a demonstration of ISIS 
running as the homenet routing protocol under the HNCP umbrella, basically 
replacing Babel in the same framework that was demonstrated at previous 
IETF.

More details will follow but the code is intended to be released as open 
source in the coming month.

Implementation is done by Netdef (http://www.opensourcerouting.org/)

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:11:35 +0200

[Added babel-users to the CC.  Please choose followups wisely.]

> there will be a demonstration of ISIS running as the homenet routing
> protocol under the HNCP umbrella, basically replacing Babel in the same
> framework that was demonstrated at previous IETF.

That's excellent news.  Have you written down your protocol extensions?
Did you have any unexpected trouble with source-sensitive routing in link
state?

-- Juliusz

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 16:23:07 +0200 (CEST)

> Did you have any unexpected trouble with source-sensitive routing in link

I wasn't directly involved in coding this, so I don't know. However, there 
is a goal to document experiences with the implementation, and to 
standardize the extensions needed. This work has been initiated during the 
IETF and I hope there will be things published in the next few months.

---

From: "Brzozowski, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:07:43 +0000

Folks,

I spoke with Alistair and emailed with Mikael separately, thought everyone
would be interested to know that we (Comcast BnB table) made an IPv6
enabled cable broadband connection available to NetDEF for their
demonstration.  Similar to what we are doing with the HNET implementation,
NetDEF has a native IPv6 capable broadband connection for at least one of
their Internet facing connections.

FYI - this connection is representative of how the millions of Comcast’s
customers connect to the Internet today using IPv6.

John
=========================================
John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Cable
m) 609-377-6594
o) 484-962-0060
w) www.comcast6.net
e) [email-masked]
=========================================

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Organization: People's Front Against WWW
Date: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 7:54
To: HOMENET <[email-masked]>
Subject: [homenet] Bits'n'bites demonstration of ISIS for homenet

>_______________________________________________
>homenet mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet

---

From: David Lamparter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:43:19 +0200

> IETF and I hope there will be things published in the next few months.

Regarding protocol extensions, this is an implementation of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-ipv6-isis-dst-src-routing-01
If someone else creates another implementation of that, it should
-basically- be compatible.  We did not have unexpected trouble in IS-IS's
link state/database management.

There are known and expected issues regarding interop between srcdest
and non-srcdest IS-IS implementations, i.e. a source restricted route
should never point to a non-srcdest router.  This will be addressed in a
future revision of the draft. (Examining interop wasn't part/goal of our
work so far, but having the implementation certainly creates the
opportunity to do just that.)

-David