Subject: [homenet] my mic comment on routing protocol interop...

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:04:08 -0700

What I'd meant at the microphone concerning "interoperability",
was not at the protocol level, but at the daemon level. We have
separate forks of quagga (for ISIS with source sensitive routing),
bird (for ospfv3), stand alone daemons like babels (which also has a
quagga-babel version, but I think it's from another quagga branch than
the ISIS work) and entirely separate daemons for the various other IoT
devices.

So far as I know the quagga-babel"s" work hasn't started yet. Is there
work on source sensitive ospf for quagga?

How big is all this stuff? (memory/flash?)

It IS a headache to deal with all these different daemons and stuff
flying in loose formation, and so I hope more folk pitch in to
stabilize the code (pick a codebase, any codebase... ) to get it
beyond "proof of concept" stage.

... and it would be nice to be able to evaluate each routing
protocol's configurability (and/or lack thereof, which I'd weight in
favor of) convergence time, reliability, wire usage, wireless usage,
and the source specific features...

Anyone for OLSRv2?

/me ducks

-- 
Dave Täht

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 17:49:21 +0200

> the ISIS work)

Dave,

According to David Lamparter, Quagga-babels work is using the same Zebra
interfaces as IS-IS, so the two should be able to merge at some point.
The outstanding issue is merging the releavant bits of Quagga-RE into
Quagga, which is something that should happen soon, for some value of soon
(at least Matthieu and David are discussing it).

> So far as I know the quagga-babel"s" work hasn't started yet.

Actually, it's running as we speak.  It's not feature complete yet
(there's no support for redistribution of source-sensitive routes), and
I haven't reviewed the code yet (I'm busy reviewing Matthieu's code and
merging babels into standalone babeld, check the branch called
"ss-tables-merge").

We'll hopefully end up with just two implementations before the end of the
summer:

 - Quagga (Babel, IS-IS, perhaps RIPng at some future point);
 - babeld (Babel).

> flying in loose formation,

I know.  Trouble is, my job is doing research, so any maintenance work
I do happens during my copious free time, which causes my family to
complain.  Could you please speak to my nephews?

(Getting GSOC funding and finding a competent student this summer was
a big help, babels-Quagga wouldn't have happened otherwise.)

-- Juliusz