Subject: [homenet] Babel news

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:00:33 +0200

Source-specific routing
=======================

We've found a problem with interoperability between source-specific Babel
and plain Babel.  I don't think the current implementation has the
problem, but the current packet format does in principle allow encodings
that plain Babel will mis-parse.  Rather than setting complex rules that
work around the problem, we're planning an incompatible change to the
format of source-specific updates.  Dave is not pleased.

  http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]
  http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]

Extension mechanism
===================

We're working on formalising the extensions mechanism:

  http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chroboczek-babel-extension-mechanism/
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chroboczek-babel-extension-mechanism

The current -01 doesn't specify a policy for TLV and sub-TLV assignments,
we're planning on "Specification Required" together with a range of 16
codepoints reserved for experimentation.  If you have strong opinions on
the subject, please let us know now rather than later.

  http://mid.gmane.org/[email-masked]
  http://mid.gmane.org/CAGnRvuq_PJe1wrcZqaUqwsqpoUH3A4HTcSSsFhQ=[email-masked]

Other drafts
============

In other news, the authentication draft is in AUTH48 (yay!):

  http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ovsienko-babel-hmac-authentication/
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ovsienko-babel-hmac-authentication

there's a first cut at the RTT-based routing (overlay networks) extensions:

  http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jonglez-babel-rtt-extension/

and a very early draft of the radio diversity extensions:

  http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/babel/draft-chroboczek-babel-diversity-routing.html

There's still no complete description of the source-specific routing
extensions.

-- Juliusz