Subject: [homenet] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 16:41:54 +0200

Hi,

Please find the description of the architecture that enables a CPE to
outsource the authoritative naming service on the Internet to a Public
Authoritative Server.

This version considers the comments we received on the mailing list for
signing the zone. We clearly explain the pros and cons for signing the zone
by the CPE and by the Public Authoritative Servers. We also clarify how
multiple views should be handled by the CPE as this issue has been raised.

Feel free top make comments.

Just to clarify the position of
draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt and
draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02.txt:

   - draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt describes the
   architecture we recommend for the CPE to outsource the DNS Homenet Zone
   - draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-02.txt: provides
   DHCP Options so the architecture can be (almost) automatically set.

BR
Daniel

-------- Original Message --------  Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt  Date: Fri, 4 Jul
2014 07:30:03 -0700  From: <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>  To: Ralf Weber <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>, Chris Griffiths <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>, Wouter Cloetens <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>, Chris Griffiths <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>, Ralf Weber <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>, Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
<[email-masked]>, Wouter Cloetens
<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>, Daniel
Migault <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by Daniel Migault and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation
Revision:	04
Title:		Outsourcing Home Network Authoritative Naming Service
Document date:	2014-07-04
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		21
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04

Abstract:
   CPEs are designed to provide IP connectivity to home networks.  Most
   CPEs assign IP addresses to the nodes of the home network which makes
   it a good candidate for hosting the naming service.  With IPv6, the
   naming service makes nodes reachable from the home network as well as
   from the Internet.

   However, CPEs have not been designed to host such a naming service
   exposed on the Internet.  This may expose the CPEs to resource
   exhaustion which would make the home network unreachable, and most
   probably would also affect the home network inner communications.

   In addition, DNSSEC management and configuration may not be well
   understood or mastered by regular end users.  Misconfiguration may
   also results in naming service disruption, thus these end users may
   prefer to rely on third party naming providers.

   This document describes a homenet naming architecture where the CPEs
   manage the DNS zone associates to its home network, and outsources
   the naming service and eventually the DNSSEC management on the
   Internet to a third party designated as the Public Authoritative
   Servers.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58