Subject: [homenet] an early attempt at getting homenet stuff to work outside the lab

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:38:40 -0800

I plan to spend my thanksgiving getting source sensitive routing, hnetd,
and dns to play better together. I think I should switch to blogging
rather than g+,
but my first attempt and some of the problems encountered so far are
documented here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/jV9WJyEYGGP

I note that the total cost of all the hardware for this was about 350
dollars, and I do wish more people were making at least that level of
investment into making this stuff work. (it is a lot cheaper to buy
home oriented hardware than it is to go to ietf meetings)

Next up is trying to get hnetd to play nice.

I have seen on this list some sort of time related dependency possibly
creeping into hnetd and its crypto, but if your time is, like, the
build time of the firmware, how is that going to work?

-- 
Dave Täht

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/Upcoming_Talks

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:07:23 -0800

> build time of the firmware, how is that going to work?

Sorry if I'm being dense, but I miss you point.

Mark

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 11:38:33 +0200

> build time of the firmware, how is that going to work?

There is zero absolute time references in HNCP. All references are relative, e.g. ‘delegated prefix X was valid for Y seconds (Z seconds ago)’. Similarly, security stuff has some timers that indicate nodes should do something only up to N seconds, but doing it more than N seconds causes just some extra state to float in HNCP state.

Cheers,

-Markus