Subject: Re: [homenet] Comments requested for draft CER-ID

From: Michael Kloberdans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 17:46:36 +0000

Many people have given good comments with CER-ID over the last 10-days -
thank you for the time you took to respond.

It seems that many of the comments were directed at an example
implementation instead of the concept itself.  The CER-ID proposal does
NOT, in anyway, disable a firewall.  It is a means to explicitly define
the device connected between the Public and Private network boundary.  The
CER-ID does NOT have to be automatically assigned which means that the
boundary does not have to be a Cable modem, DSL modem or any ISP provided
device.  That¹s one of the beauties of this proposal, it gives choice in
position of the implementation and, as the implementer, you can ascribe
what behaviors will or will not be associated with it.

Currently, there is no method to explicitly define the customer edge
router, and have the freedom to change that designation.  Please have
another look at the text in this light and tell me what you think.

Michael Kloberdans
Lead Architect / Home Networking     CableLabs®

858 Coal Creek Circle.  Louisville, CO. 80027
303-661-3813 (v)

On 10/30/14, 2:45 PM, "Mikael Abrahamsson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Oct 2014, Michael Kloberdans wrote:
>
>> 2.  CER Identification Option
>>
>>   A Customer Edge Router (CER) sets the CER_ID to the IPv6 address of
>>   its LAN interface.  If it has more than one LAN IPv6 address, it
>>   selects one of its LAN or loopback IPv6 addresses to be used in the
>>   CER_ID.  An ISP server does not respond with the CER_ID or sets the
>>   CER_ID to ::.  Such a response or lack of response indicates to the
>>   DHCPv6 client that it is the CER.
>>
>>   The format of the CER Identification option is:
>>
>>    0                   1                   2                   3
>>    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
>>   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>>   |      option-code              |      option-len               |
>>   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>>   |                                                               |
>>   |                           CER_ID                              |
>>   |                                                               |
>>   |                                                               |
>>   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>>       option-code          OPTION_CER_ID (TBD).
>>       option-len           36
>>       CER_ID value         IPv6 address of CER or ::
>
>I am not an expert when it comes to DHCP. Is there something implicit in
>the way that DHCP options are designed that makes it obvious that the
>"CER_ID value" is using ASCII or 128 bits binary to represent the IPv6
>address? Because it's not obvious to me from reading the above text.
>
>-- 
>Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]
>
>_______________________________________________
>homenet mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet