Subject: [homenet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 11:36:23 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Outsourcing Home Network Authoritative Naming Service
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Wouter Cloetens
                          Chris Griffiths
                          Ralf Weber
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2015-02-16

Abstract:
   CPEs are designed to provide IP connectivity to home networks.  Most
   CPEs assign IP addresses to the nodes of the home network which makes
   it a good candidate for hosting the naming service.  With IPv6, the
   naming service makes nodes reachable from the home network as well as
   from the Internet.

   However, CPEs have not been designed to host such a naming service
   exposed on the Internet.  This may expose the CPEs to resource
   exhaustion which would make the home network unreachable, and most
   probably would also affect the home network inner communications.

   In addition, DNSSEC management and configuration may not be well
   understood or mastered by regular end users.  Misconfiguration may
   also results in naming service disruption, thus these end users may
   prefer to rely on third party naming providers.

   This document describes a homenet naming architecture where the CPEs
   manage the DNS zone associates to its home network, and outsources
   the naming service and eventually the DNSSEC management on the
   Internet to a third party designated as the Public Authoritative
   Servers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 22:13:28 +0100

Hi,

Please find the new version of the Outsourcing Home Network Authoritative
Naming Service
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01>.

We believed we addressed all comments we received through the list and off
list. By the way thanks to all those that provided feedbacks, and feel free
to provide more feed backs.

Here are the main modifications:

    - 1) We clarify how the CPE is involved in the DNS resolution and how
the home network requirements are met -- more specifically how naming
resolution inside the home network is provided even though IP connectivity
is down. Regarding this issues, we were in line with the received comments,
so the new version is mostly clarifying this aspect.

    - 2) A number of issues were related to names that are not expected to
be publish on the public Internet, and remain published only within the
home network. This includes link-local, site-local and NAT IP addresses as
well as Private domain names. As these requirements results in two
different views, a "private" and a "public" view we describe the problem
and provide guidance on how to deal with each of these cases in section 7
"handling on different views". I believe all raised issues so far have been
considered as discussed on the mailing list.

    - 3) A privacy section has been added. It exposes the privacy concerns
of outsourcing the DNS service.

    - 4) Text has been added on how reverse zone may be handled as an
alternative to the generation of an explicit reverse zone.

    - 5) We clarify the pro/con about outsourcing the zone signature
operation. The recommended way is clearly not to outsource it. This is the
recommendation running for a while now, so we hope the text is clear by
now. If not let us know.

    - 6) We clarify when needed when col-localization of the functions is
needed. More specifically, when two functions needs to run on the same
hardware. Such considerations only happened outside the master/slave
architecture.

    - 7) RFC2308 has been added for the SOA

BR,
Daniel

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 8:36 PM
Subject: [homenet] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Outsourcing Home Network Authoritative Naming
Service
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Wouter Cloetens
                          Chris Griffiths
                          Ralf Weber
        Filename        :
draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-01.txt
        Pages           : 25
        Date            : 2015-02-16

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
homenet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet

-- 
Daniel Migault
Ericsson

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:21:29 +0100

> Naming Service.
> list.

I'm a little confused.  One of the comments was about how the draft binds
the role of the authoritative hidden master to the CPE.  Perhaps I'm
missing something, but I have the impression that this version still makes
this co-location compulsory.

-- Juliusz