Subject: Re: [homenet] draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-06 now in WGLC

From: Steven Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 09:31:57 +0200

> Hm, regarding section 11, requirements for HNCP routers. How is that size hint calculated? Also, other kinds of behaviours like null-routing the delegated PD to avoid ping-pong routing when you receive packets for subnets currently not in use in the delegated prefix, where is that specified?
>
I noticed it is actually a bit more tricky then I thought yesterday and adapted the text again regarding the size hint again since it is hard to actually calculate the number of /64s needed, given potential administrative policies and /127 links that were discussed here.

The new requirement reads:

            If the CE sends a size-hint as indicated in WPD-2, the hint
            MUST NOT be determined by the number of LAN-interfaces of the CE,
            but SHOULD instead be large enough to at least accommodate prefix
            assignments announced for existing delegated or ULA-prefixes, if
            such prefixes exist and unless explicitly configured otherwise.

The ping-pong avoidance is already part of RFC 7084 in the mentioned WPD-5, we just have to relax the requirement so that it not only allows traffic to prefixes assigned by the CE itself, but also to prefixes assigned by any other HNCP router, that's what the exception is aimed at.

Cheers,

Steven

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:54:54 +0300

On 30.6.2015 18.22, Dave Taht wrote:
> My request was more dogfooding. a *lot* more dogfooding.

Any practical suggestions on how? Even back in Atlanta in _2012_, there 
wasn't that many problems detected when we let rampaging horde play with 
the cables (+- few bugs +- Windows XP and ULAs).

I have been running some versions of this stuff in some segment(s) of my 
home network for soon 3 years; it isn't exactly new. Still, I am sure 
even our implementation is far from perfect and more users would mean 
better quality sooner.

Given making people even review almost-ready documents seems close to 
impossible (*cough* draft-ietf-homenet-hybrid-proxy-zeroconf *cough*), 
what are the odds we can actually make them play with the 
hardware/software involved?

'help them install OpenWrt' isn't really an answer; looking at it from 
the cost-benefit point of view, it would be much better just to _give 
away_ cheap routers with the software preinstalled, than look up how to 
install it on one of N models (_if possible_, given switch configs are 
what they are), actually perform it, create custom configurations, etc.

I wish someone were to champion homenet cause in the coming hackathon - 
I will be there, but not on Friday, and that seems ~hard requirement for 
champions.

Cheers,

-Markus