Subject: [homenet] Ben Campbell's No Objection on draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-10: (with COMMENT)

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 13:46:49 -0700

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-10: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the new appendix B. How should we interpret the "(optional)"
tag on some of the sections of that appendix? For example, does for the
Transport Security section, does (optional) mean the section is optional,
that transport security is optional, or both?

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:26:59 +0300

> that transport security is optional, or both?

It means that the feature being discussed is optional part of DNCP profile; if you have better a way of noting that, let me know :)

I guess some sort of blanket statement at the beginning of each subsection would convey the message..?

(Multicast subsection actually has paragraph that states ‘if multicast is used..’, making the optional part perhaps bit redundant anyway; the security subsection on the other hand does not.)

Cheers,

-Markus

---

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:35:16 -0500

On 30 Sep 2015, at 1:26, Markus Stenberg wrote:

> It means that the feature being discussed is optional part of DNCP 
> profile; if you have better a way of noting that, let me know :)
>
> (Multicast subsection actually has paragraph that states ‘if 
> multicast is used..’, making the optional part perhaps bit redundant 
> anyway; the security subsection on the other hand does not.)

I that points at the root of my concern: Do you really want the 
transport security section to be optional? Does that mean people 
creating a profile don't have to think about it?

Thanks!

Ben.