Subject: [homenet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 13:46:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Outsourcing Home Network Authoritative Naming Service
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Ralf Weber
                          Ray Hunter
                          Chris Griffiths
                          Wouter Cloetens
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2015-09-23

Abstract:
   RFC7368 'IPv6 Home Networking Architecture Principles' section 3.7
   describes architecture principles related to naming and service
   discovery in residential home networks.

   Customer Edge Routers and other Customer Premises Equipment (CPEs)
   are designed to provide IP connectivity to home networks.  Most CPEs
   assign IP addresses to the nodes of the home network which makes them
   good candidates for hosting the naming service.  IPv6 provides global
   connectivity, and nodes from the home network will be reachable from
   the global Internet.  As a result, the naming service is expected to
   be exposed on the Internet.

   However, CPEs have not been designed to host such a naming service
   exposed on the Internet.  Running a naming service visible on the
   Internet may expose the CPEs to resource exhaustion and other
   attacks, which could make the home network unreachable, and most
   probably would also affect the internal communications of the home
   network.

   In addition, regular end users may not understand, or possess the
   necessary skills to be able to perform, DNSSEC management and
   configuration.  Misconfiguration may also result in naming service
   disruption, thus these end users may prefer to rely on third party
   name service providers.

   This document describes a homenet naming architecture, where the CPEs
   manage the DNS zones associated with its own home network, and
   outsource elements of the naming service (possibly including DNSSEC
   management) to a third party running on the Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/