Subject: [homenet] draft-pfister-homenet-dot-00

From: Philip Homburg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:47:44 +0100

Some remarks regarding draft-pfister-homenet-dot-00:

(I'll ignore the specific value '.homenet')

Section 2:
"or only reachable from within the home
"network (e.g., a web server hosted by the service provider and
"providing a service that is specific to the home)."

I think it is best to drop this. Maybe add that a homenet domain name may
resolve to addresses outside the homenet without specifying why.

"DNS queries for names ending with '.homenet.'  MUST NOT be sent
"outside of the logical boundaries of the home network.

This basically impossible. Anybody can specify a well known public resolver
(like Google's 2001:4860:4860::8888) in /etc/resolv.conf. And Section 3,
point 3 prevents stub resolvers from treating homenet special.

Section 3:

"5.  Authoritative DNS Servers SHOULD recognize such names as special-
"use and SHOULD NOT, by default, attempt to look up NS records for
"these names.

How can an authoritative server consider itself authoritative for any zone 
by default and how whould it get a query in the first place?

"6.  DNS server operators SHOULD NOT attempt to configure DNS servers
"to act as authoriative for any of these names.

Again not sure why this would be problem. How to these servers queries for
homenet? Or is this specific to DNS resolvers?

"7.  DNS Registries and Registrars MUST NOT assign any sub-domain from
"'.homenet.'.

Again this feels weird. How can registries and registrars operate on domains
that are not delegated to them by ICANN?

At the same time, the draft fails to specify what should go in the root zone
(or any other zone from which '.homenet' would be delegated)