Subject: [homenet] Clarification on homenet-dot slides

From: Pierre Pfister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 14:50:02 +0900

Hello group,

As it has been pointed out, the slides today included:
"Name ending with ‘.homenet’ MUST refer to services that are only reachable from the home network"

This is, if not completely wrong, very poorly written. Apologies for that.

The draft states:
"The top-level domain name '.homenet.' is to be used for naming within
   a home network.  Names ending with '.homenet.'  MUST refer to
   services that are located within a home network (e.g., a printer, or
   a toaster)."

Which I think is more correct and hopefully less ambiguous.

- Pierre

---

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 01:02:02 +0000

> Which I think is more correct and hopefully less ambiguous.

My comment was that I find the term "home network" ambiguous. Given this is a "MUST", I would like if either (1) "home network" was defined (Stuart proposed one possible definition, which I think may have problems, but would prefer to see that proposed definition in a written form before judging; I suggested using something like the Internal/External interface definitions of RFC 7788, but people didn't like that idea), or (2) it was made clear that identifying whether an interface served as a home network boundary was left to the implementer.
Barbara

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 05:42:44 +0100

> My comment was that I find the term "home network" ambiguous. Given this
> is a "MUST", I would like if...

I suggest removing this whole paragraph, or replacing it with a statement
to the effect that "names ending with .homenet. MAY be used to refer to
services that are located within a home network, whatever that means".

The draft already says that .homenet is a locally served zone (requirement 4)
that SHOULD NOT by default be advertised by authoritative servers
(requirements 5 and 6).  What more do we need?

-- Juliusz