Subject: [homenet] multiple routers vs IoT

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 12:04:31 -0400

The way for multiple routers in the house is to recognize that the IoT
gateway *is* the second router.  It's not a second uplink.

So there are in fact three situations:

1) multiple uplinks. (rare at this point, we all agree, partly I think
                     because it's hard to do)
2) multiple routers. (rather common, often by mistake)
3) IoT routers (usually on purpose)

Let's recharter to address (2) and (3).

As for Ted's comments about backbone router in 6lo... that's rather esoteric
Industrial IoT stuff.  It's not, I think, quite right for the home. At least,
not yet.

{ps: I have the thread that the chairs started partly unread, because I
had contributed to the questions, and I wanted to let others chime before I
argued with them}

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 13:44:32 -0400

Tim Coote <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > On 2 Apr 2019, at 17:04, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
    > wrote:

    mcr> The way for multiple routers in the house is to recognize that the IoT
    mcr> gateway is the second router. It's not a second uplink.

    mcr> So there are in fact three situations:

    mcr> 1) multiple uplinks. (rare at this point, we all agree, partly I think
    mcr> because it's hard to do)

    mcr> 2) multiple routers. (rather common, often by mistake) 3) IoT routers
    mcr> (usually on purpose)

    > By ‘IoT router’, do you mean nodes providing the routing to 6LoWPAN network
    > (s) running over various protocols, the router that links IoT nodes to the
    > internet, or something else such as incorporating sensors/actuators that are
    > powered and use wifi as the network protocol?

I mean the gateway between 6lowpan and the home network (whether it's wifi or
wired).  That node likely also links them to the Internet (is appropriate,
ULA otherwise).

sensors/actuators with power and Wifi (and probably an marriage to a cloud
service) are "Web Enabled Devices", not IoT :-)