Subject: [homenet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 06:03:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Home Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DHCPv6 Options for Home Network Naming Authority
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Ralf Weber
                          Tomek Mrugalski
                          Chris Griffiths
                          Wouter Cloetens
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2020-10-22

Abstract:
   This document defines DHCPv6 options so any agnostic Homnet Naming
   Authority (HNA) can automatically proceed to the appropriate
   configuration and outsource the authoritative naming service for the
   home network.  In most cases, the outsourcing mechanism is
   transparent for the end user.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 09:10:00 -0400

Hi,

Please find here an update for the DHCP options aiming at configuring the
Home Naming Authority (HNA). The document has been updated to better
reflect the changes made on the front-end draft. As the front-end draft
enables the Distributed Master (DM) and the HNA to agree on some
configuration parameters, these parameters no longer need to be provided
via DHCP. As a result, this resulted in simplifying the DHCP options which
is reflected by the current version.

As always, comments are welcome!

Yours,
Daniel

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 9:04 AM
Subject: [homenet] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08.txt
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Home Networking WG of the IETF.

        Title           : DHCPv6 Options for Home Network Naming Authority
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Ralf Weber
                          Tomek Mrugalski
                          Chris Griffiths
                          Wouter Cloetens
        Filename        :
draft-ietf-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-08.txt
        Pages           : 14
        Date            : 2020-10-22

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
homenet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet

-- 
Daniel Migault
Ericsson

---

From: "Ray Hunter (v6ops)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:52:46 +0200

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for publishing this draft.

I have a three comments/concerns.

Firstly: "this option is also defined in [I-D.ietf-dhc-sedhcpv6]."

I just want to clarify that you are going to provide a new option code, 
but with the identical semantics.

I do think you need a separate code to avoid parsing ambiguity.

But also going forward if the specification is amended, then this would 
also be amended for this usage.

i.e. s/DNSKEY RDATA format as defined in [RFC4034]/DNSKEY RDATA format 
as defined in [RFC4034] or as amended/ ?

Second: I was planning on using certificates to secure the control 
channel. The certificate would be linked to the individual HNA.

Is there any provision for either downloading the relevant certificate 
given the key data, or for containing the certificate directly in the 
DHCP option?

Thirdly: I know some operators have concerns about "individualising" 
DHCP responses per user, rather than a static "get you configuration 
here" type bootstrap for all users.

Has this concern been discussed with any ISP's and is there an 
alternative method of individualizing the bootstrap process?

regards,

Daniel Migault wrote on 22/10/2020 15:10:
> Hi,
>
> Please find here an update for the DHCP options aiming at configuring 
> the Home Naming Authority (HNA). The document has been updated to 
> better reflect the changes made on the front-end draft. As the 
> front-end draft enables the Distributed Master (DM) and the HNA to 
> agree on some configuration parameters, these parameters no longer 
> need to be provided via DHCP. As a result, this resulted in 
> simplifying the DHCP options which is reflected by the current version.
>
> From: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> Cc: <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>
>
>
> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org 
> <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

-- 
regards,
RayH
<https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=siglink&utm_campaign=reach>