Subject: [homenet] soliciting ideas for "CeroWrt II"

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 06:12:10 -0800

Probably some of you remember "cerowrt", which was a project jim
gettys and I spawned to solve the home router disaster.
Our original project plan was here:
https://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/make-wifi-fast/wiki/Solving_the_Home_Router_Disaster_Annotated/

Indirectly that project spawned the ietf aqm, and babel wgs, and fed
into the homenet wg as well. We got a few things right as fq-codel and
shaped "smart queues" are probably the second most popular queueing
system in the world now, a distant second to FIFOs, and openwrt/linux
gained really good ipv6 support, bcp38, source specific routing[1],
and so on, and a lot of that stuff fed into other commercial
products... but we certainly mis-fired on mesh networking (the world
went L2), firewalling (ipv6 went default deny, pcp didn't deploy),
hnetd was too complicated, and things like unicast MDNS didn't get
solidified until recently.

Recently ripe published their requirements for "IPv6-Ready" gear here:
https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-772 which I haven't
read through fully as yet.

Anyway, it's a decade later... and I've been collecting ideas for
"cerowrt II", with some stuff that I remember from homenet as well,
here:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cerowrt-ii-would-anyone-care/110554/

If there's anything you'd like to add/enhance in openwrt and linux in
particular, please put suggestions and feedback over there?

[1] Did source specific routing for RA get anywhere?  In what working
group? What was it renamed to?

PS Also I'm looking for some help debugging cake and fq_codel in the
mikrotik 7.1 release, here:
https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?p=898128#p898104

-- 
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC