Subject: [hrpc] Thanks and new resources to look at (ISOC principles && RFC3935)

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:05:25 +0200

Hello all (and a special welcome to new list members),

Thank you very much for working with us this week, whether it was by
participating in interviews, joining the session or sharing your views
and knowledge. We're slowly starting to process all the input, but to
keep the dialogue going we'll keep releasing our notes and thoughts
here early and often.

If you want to review some of the work please find here the link to the
ID
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-doria-hrpc-proposal

Audio of the presentation (starts after 4:04)
http://www.ietf.org/audio/ietf92/ietf92-royal-20150327-1150-am2.mp3

Presentation slides
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/92/slides/slides-92-hrpc-0.pdf

Here some great leads for relevant resources:

Thanks Fred for pointing out the principles of ISOC [0] which could
for a guidance for framing this work:

The Ability to Connect. The edge-dominant end-to-end architecture of
the Internet is essential to its utility as a platform for innovation,
creativity, and economic opportunity. To preserve this quality, we
will oppose efforts to establish standards or practices that would
make it difficult or impossible for some users of the Internet to use
the full range of Internet applications of all kinds.

The Ability to Speak. The Internet is a powerful mass medium for
self-expression which depends on the ability of its users to speak
freely. We believe that the Internet must support private—and, where
appropriate, anonymous—means of communication and collaboration among
individuals and groups, and will oppose efforts to restrict the type
or content of information exchanged on the Internet.

The Ability to Innovate. The remarkable growth of the Internet and the
limitless variety of Internet applications follow directly from the
open model of Internet connectivity and standards development. Any
individual, organization, or company can develop and distribute a new
Internet application that can be used by anyone. We recognize the
enormous value of this innovation, and oppose governmental or
nongovernmental restrictions on the evolution and use of Internet
technology.

The Ability to Share. The many-to-many architecture of the Internet
makes it a powerful tool for sharing, education, and collaboration. It
has enabled the global open source community to develop and enhance
many of the key components of the Internet, such as the Domain Name
System and the World-Wide Web, and has made the vision of digital
libraries a reality. To preserve these benefits we will oppose
technologies and legislation that would inhibit the freedom to develop
and use open source software or limit the well-established concept of
fair use, which is essential to scholarship, education, and collaboration.

The Ability to Choose. Government regulation and the economic power of
incumbent telecommunication monopolies can delay or prevent the growth
of the Internet by limiting the ability of competitors to provide new,
better, cheaper, or more innovative Internet-related services. We
advocate policies that promote competition in telecommunications,
Internet services, Internet-related software, and e-commerce applications.

The Ability to Trust. Everyone’s ability to connect, speak, innovate,
share, and choose depends on the Internet’s ability to support
trustworthy internetworking—ensuring the security, reliability, and
stability of increasingly critical and pervasive applications and
services.

Thanks Corinne for pointing out RFC3935 [1], there are some great
pointers in here!

[quote]

   The Internet: A large, heterogeneous collection of interconnected
      systems that can be used for communication of many different types
      between any interested parties connected to it.  The term includes
      both the "core Internet" (ISP networks) and "edge Internet"
      (corporate and private networks, often connected via firewalls,
      NAT boxes, application layer gateways and similar devices).  The
      Internet is a truly global network, reaching into just about every
      country in the world.
      The IETF community wants the Internet to succeed because we
      believe that the existence of the Internet, and its influence on
      economics, communication, and education, will help us to build a
      better human society.

[/quote]

[quote]

4.1.  The Scope of the Internet

   A very difficult issue in discussing the IETF's mission has been the
   scope of the term "for the Internet".  The Internet is used for many
   things, many of which the IETF community has neither interest nor
   competence in making standards for.

   The Internet isn't value-neutral, and neither is the IETF.  We want
   the Internet to be useful for communities that share our commitment
   to openness and fairness.  We embrace technical concepts such as
   decentralized control, edge-user empowerment and sharing of
   resources, because those concepts resonate with the core values of
   the IETF community.  These concepts have little to do with the
   technology that's possible, and much to do with the technology that
   we choose to create.

   At the same time, it is clear that many of the IETF-defined
   technologies are useful not only for the Internet, but also for
   networks that have no direct relation to the Internet itself.

   In attempting to resolve the question of the IETF's scope, perhaps
   the fairest balance is struck by this formulation: "protocols and
   practices for which secure and scalable implementations are expected
   to have wide deployment and interoperation on the Internet, or to
   form part of the infrastructure of the Internet."

   In addition to this constraint, we are also constrained by the
   principle of competence: Where we do not have, and cannot gather, the
   competence needed to make technically sound standards, we should not
   attempt to take the leadership.

[/quote]

And as always, your questions, suggestions, comments and critiques are
very welcome.

Best,

Niels

[0]
http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/mission/values-and-principles
[1] https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3935.txt

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9