Subject: [Hrpc] ideas for data and concept visualisation

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 11:22:23 -0400

Hi everyone

Maybe some of you remember and have read the APC publication "Human
rights and Internet protocols"[0]. APC was considering refreshing this
at some point, but perhaps in the form of a visualisation of the concepts.

That leads me to imagine that there are other ideas for visualisation or
infographics related to this work. Could folks share their thoughts? We
should explore opportunities together, I think, for explaining different
concepts to different audiences.

-Mallory
-- 
Mallory Knodel
Association for Progressive Communications :: apc.org <https://apc.org>
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 11:52:26 -0400

> concepts to different audiences.
[0]
https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/human-rights-and-internet-protocols-comparing-proc

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 15:23:31 +0200

Hi Mallory,

On 04/06/2015 05:52 PM, Mallory Knodel wrote:
>> Maybe some of you remember and have read the APC publication
>> "Human rights and Internet protocols"[0]. APC was considering
>> refreshing this at some point, but perhaps in the form of a
>> visualisation of the concepts.
>> 

This paper was important for us in envisioning this research, great
you're thinking of putting it back under attention!

>> That leads me to imagine that there are other ideas for
>> visualisation or infographics related to this work. Could folks
>> share their thoughts? We should explore opportunities together, I
>> think, for explaining different concepts to different audiences.

I think a lot of people would benefit from a good visualization of the
hourglass (which is now actually, as someone pointed out at IETF92, a
double stemmed martini glass (IPv4 & IPv6)), and what it actually means.

A good, meaningful and easy visualization of the OSI model would also
be golden, even-though there are other layer models around as well.
This doesn't mean simply showing the model, but also explaining it of
course.

Personally I think packet-switching and IP are most fun to explain and
is really beneficial for people to understand, and could be done in a
nice visual way. By showing a stream of data and/or file being chopped
up into packets/datagrams, send over the network and routed via
different paths, and being put back together on the other side. This
might be too complex though.

If this would be a multi-layered visualization you could also perhaps
click on the packet and see what it looks like, such as the ones made
by Ange Albertini [0]

Hope this helps.

Best,

Niels

[0] http://www.redbubble.com/people/ange4771/portfolio