Subject: [hrpc] 2 IDs published and git repository

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:33:04 +0700

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well. As you've seen from the e-mail from
Joana we now have two new drafts published:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-varon-hrpc-methodology-00
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dkg-hrpc-glossary-00

These draft will carry the work further and replace the previous
Internet Draft which will retire now:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-doria-hrpc-proposal

We also have all relevant document available in a git repository:
github.com/nllz/IRTF-HRPC

I will be accepting git pull request for document changes, but you can
also still of course suggest your changes here on the list (which I
will then merge into the git repository). The git repository should
also show a nice history of changes to the IDs.

I am still learning the inner workings of git, so please bear with me.
If you would also like to use git and don't know how yet, please let
me know and I'll point you to some resources I found useful and I'm
pretty sure there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here on the
list that are willing to help as well.

I would like to thank all the authors and contributors for their great
work in getting this done, and special thanks to dkg for helping
setting us up with the proper build tools and with git.

We haven't added proper acknowledgements to the IDs yet, but I'm sure
we'll get around to that for the next version.

Looking forward to the discussion on the drafts here as well as in Pragu
e.

Please also let us know if you want to discuss other topics at the
session in Prague, the agenda is still open for new issues. For this
you don't need to be present in person, we'd like to encourage remote
participation as much as possible.

Best,

Niels

- -- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 09:36:21 +0200

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 07:33:04PM +0700,
 Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]> wrote 

> Decentralized: Opportunity for implementation or deployment of
> standards, protocols or systems without a single point of control.

"Decentralized" is a very heavily loaded term on politico-technical
discussions. Everybody claims his protocol is decentralized and the
competitor is not. (The best thing I've read in a discussion was some
IRC fan claiming that IRC was decentralized and XMPP was not, because
of its reliance on DNS...)

The definition in draft-dkg-hrpc-glossary-00 is really too vague. I
also note that "centralized" is not defined. May be, to make the
discussion more concrete, we should try to find examples. For
instance, the naming:

* HOSTS.TXT file maintained at SRI (RFC 608) Centralized?

* GNS <https://gnunet.org/gns> Decentralized?

* DNS ???

See you on Wednesday for the discussion :-)