Subject: [hrpc] IETF glossary...

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:28:02 +0200

Here's RFC 4949 with the IETF Glossary... we might want to check each
of the things in the glossary document against this:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4949

(And as Trammell said on the mic, 6973 has a good glossary too)

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist
Center for Democracy & Technology
1634 I ST NW STE 1100
Washington DC 20006-4011
(p) 202-407-8825
(f) 202-637-0968
[email-masked]
PGP: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Bryan Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:36:26 +0200

FWIW, there is also a paper by Fitzman/Hansen, well-known in the academic privacy/anonymity research community, that goes into great (technical) detail trying to define and analyze “anonymity”, “unobservability”, and various related terms:

	Anonymity, Unlinkability, Undetectability, Unobservability, Pseudonymity, and Identity Management – A Consolidated Proposal for Terminology 
	https://dud.inf.tu-dresden.de/literatur/Anon_Terminology_v0.31.pdf

It’s no doubt working at a far different level of detail than an intended IETF draft probably would, but is probably at least worth being aware of and considering when attempting to think about and ideally resolve the various definitions of terms like this as used by various communities.  (And as Robin Wilton aptly pointed out, other communities - e.g., the human rights policy community - are likely to have fairly different default understandings of these terms.)

Cheers
Bryan

> On Jul 22, 2015, at 6:28 PM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc

---

From: Avri Doria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 07:00:26 +0200

Hi,

As I recommended during the meeting, I think that in doing this work we
should gather the various definitions that have been put forward in the
multiplicity of glossaries, both IETF and other related. We can then
also wordsmith our way toward synthesized working definitions that are
appropriate for the analysis.

Not only do I think this would be a useful to the HRPC objectives, it
might be a service to the IETF community.  As we saw in the meeting
yesterday, there are may definitions for each of our critical terms. 
Even if we cannot come to a conclusive final definitions, gathering them
in one place could be useful.

avri

BTW, thanks to everyone who contributed to yesterday's dynamic discussions.

> (And as Trammell said on the mic, 6973 has a good glossary too)

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 18:21:37 +0200

Also, as discussed during the meeting, the "References" section of the
gloassry draft is a good place to put seminal papers, the ones you
must (MUST?) have read before discussing these matters. Two suggestions:

"Tussle in Cyberspace: Defining Tomorrow's Internet"
<http://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Publications/PubPDFs/Tussle2002.pdf>
D. Clark, J. Wroslawski, K. Sollins and R. Braden (mentioned during
the meeting by Roland Bless)

"Anonymity, Unlinkability, Undetectability, Unobservability,
Pseudonymity, and Identity Management \ A Consolidated Proposal for
Terminology"
<http://dud.inf.tu-dresden.de/literatur/Anon_Terminology_v0.31.pdf> by
Andreas Pfitzmann and Marit Hansen (mentioned during the meeting by
Robin Wilton)